B5 Travel Blog #3


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 10th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Question: What role do women play in this society? Do they have equality? If not, what discrimination do women in this country face?

Theme: Social Structures; Gender Roles

Article Link: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/social-culture-greece-17532.html

The status of women in modern day Greek society has significantly changed since the 20th century. In traditional Greece, many years ago, men dominated women over politics, employment, and property ownership. In 1957, women were given the freedom of voting. Also, women are no longer expected to stay at home while men work. In fact, not only to women have the right to work, but they can also have jobs in all levels of government related professions. In present day Greece, women also possess the right to inherit property just as much as men do. Women in Greece get to experience the many luxuries of gender role equality in society.

Women in Greek culture have struggled with many similar inequalities regarding gender as American women have in the past. Moreover, both cultures gained the power of voting, working, and many other liberties. However, today in America there are still many stereotypes floating around regarding the role of the woman in a society, as there most likely is in Greece. Despite these stereotypes, women are able to live honest, hardworking, independent lives. If one a woman was to travel to Greece, she'd experience the equivalent treatment as she would in the United States.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb