Olympia - site of the ancient games


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » West Greece » Olympia
August 29th 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Partially restored monumentPartially restored monumentPartially restored monument

This temple was given as a gift to Olympia.
Location: Katakolon and Olympia
Weather: Sunny, 34 °C

I have a true appreciation of how students feel about listening and work when it is hot! Today I travelled to Olympia - site of the original Olympic games but while the guide was explaining things all I was trying to do was find some shade. It was a bit like the episode of the Simpsons told from the dog’s perspective, every time the humans spoke the dog heard random sounds - I was listening but not listening. The Museum at Olympia was good, the air conditioning made it so. Some of the artefacts collected from the Olympia site were very beautiful. The funniest statute was from the Roman period - often Roman statues have separate heads - this is because the Emperor could change so frequently that there was not enough time to create the statue so they got into the habit of only creating the head and replacing it when there was a change in leadership.

Amy



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Temple of ZeusTemple of Zeus
Temple of Zeus

This is where the celebrations began once the games where over.
Site of the Olympic FlameSite of the Olympic Flame
Site of the Olympic Flame

It is here that the flame for the modern Olympics is lit through the use of a large mirror and the sun.
Olympia competition fieldOlympia competition field
Olympia competition field

You have to appreciate that I went in here and took the photo as it was about a million degrees in the sun. Yes I got sunburnt cos the guide wanted to have a long talk here on the field!


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb