Delos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
September 14th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is a short photo essay of Delos, the ancient religious center of Greece. It was the birthplace of Apollo, the island in which the gate of Naxos faces. It became rich with trade and a huge population of 30,000 people is estimated to have lived on this tiny island, now unpopulated except for the lizards. I just made a short 2 hour trip. In that time I saw a LOT of old white marble which is pretty much what I'm sharing with you. For any travellers reading this, I would recommend going. It's a nice side trip from Mykonos and a well deserved break from partying on the beach again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Ancient shipping vesselAncient shipping vessel
Ancient shipping vessel

okay, just kidding, I just liked this boat we saw on our way to the island.
Ancient SailorAncient Sailor
Ancient Sailor

okay, half true. This would look much better in Black and White but alas I have not photoshop.
dry dockdry dock
dry dock

This is Delos' ancient dry dock, aka the beach. I was drawn to this boat immediately because it is one of the few sources of color on this brown rock.
Dionysus tributeDionysus tribute
Dionysus tribute

As I mentioned in my Mykonos blog, this is what remains of the large phallus tributes to Dionysus. I bet you'd never guess this on a million post cards in neighboring islands. (sarcasm)
Old thingsOld things
Old things

Here some old things were nicely arranged for a nice compositional photo.
Lions or Tigers definitely not BearsLions or Tigers definitely not Bears
Lions or Tigers definitely not Bears

The famous lions (or tigers) of Delos. I imagine they once looked pretty cool lined up down a long promenade. I snuck past the plastic tape and touched one, ruining it forever undoubtedly.
Fly Cat?Fly Cat?
Fly Cat?

This is for my Fly Cat 4 from Ios. Doesn't this look like an unfinished logo for team FC4?
Architectural DetailArchitectural Detail
Architectural Detail

The Ikea design of ancient times. Everyone had it.
no ideano idea
no idea

an ancient dude no doubt.
FrescoFresco
Fresco

apparently this is Dionysus riding a tiger.
Architectural Detail 2Architectural Detail 2
Architectural Detail 2

some happy little lions on a column inside a temple for Poseidon if I remember correctly.
yours trulyyours truly
yours truly

that's me, front row of the ampitheater, applauding a fine performance.
ampitheaterampitheater
ampitheater

view from the nose bleed section.
ruined city of Delosruined city of Delos
ruined city of Delos

a view from the top of the theater towards the port, over some of the many ruins.
before vanity plates...before vanity plates...
before vanity plates...

were vanity statues. Apparently scientists think these were statues of the home's owners that greeted guests before entering.Or maybe they just hadn't figured out addresses yet. Needless to say, Delos was packed with very wealthy merchants.


18th September 2006

hi
hey pete you are so funny!!!! YOu look like your having so much fun. I will be in paris around the 4th of Oct my sisterin laws and bro are coming + fashion week stuff would love to see you! bisous Isa
26th September 2006

hey pete glad to see your having a sweet time! you are definately making the most of your trip and soaking it all up which is great to hear. you make me wish i was still travelling.. sigh.. but i've been working at a very hip cocktail spot called the lotus lounge to save some cash then heading up the east coast of oz with some mates for a cruisie summer of sun and surf. i can't even explain the bliss of having two summers in a row. can't wait to hear about your next destination. love ya. georgie.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0979s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb