Paros


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Paros
September 21st 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Skip Naxos, go to Paros! Paros is not as touristy as Naxos but has plenty of fun things to do. I stayed at Athena's studios on the north of the island. This town had a great little downtown with restaurants in the marina and square, shops meandering through the typical greek mazes, and a selection of stylish bars to relax with a cocktail or cafe, listen to good music, and watch the fashionable locals buzz about. It was here on Paros that I rented my favorite scooter of the entire Greek island tour. It was an orange and cream Mio FunBike 150. Gorgeous! Proud dog owners constantly take pictures of their pups, the term is dog-porn. (nothing actually pornographic about it for those not in the know.) Me, I spent an entire day making scooter-porn. I have included a few of my favorites here. I put many miles on my FunBike 150 as I toured the island for several days. My daily route took me to Pounda Beach. There are two Pounda Beaches on Paros. I don't know why. They are roughly on exact opposite sides of the island. One is a party beach with music, cafes, etc. The one I went to was barren except for the two kite-surfing clubs that stretched along this wide beach. Located on a strait between Paros and Antiparos, this is the best spot in Greece for wind. And so for two days I took my first kite-surfing lessons. I was quite skilled at flying the stunt kite and then graduated to the larger 7m kite which I also handled masterfully. I body-dragged (not nearly as bad as it sounds) like the best of them. I could control the kite with one hand and drag myself upwind. But then they introduced the board. It wasn't even on my feet but soon I became a mess. I don't know if I was distracted by this second object, or I can honestly blame the extremely gusty wind I was dealing with, but I almost got blown back to Ios. It's a good thing lessons include free rescues as my kite's lines were twisted around themselves, the kite, the safety line, the harness...huge mess that took a good 20 minutes to unwravel. But in the end I was told I had almost completed 2 levels in what most people take to do one. So I guess I can feel good about that. Paros was a refreshing experience after dealing with so many touristy areas eager to take advantage.
Up next, Istanbul!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



28th September 2006

you are never going to leave...
are you??
28th September 2006

Ah, Paros
I'm glad to read your entry... I will be in Paros in two days (in Athens now). I'm living there until mid-December. Anyway... just "hello" and happy travels!
29th September 2006

I am jealous
Well Pete, I am so jealous of you and all the cool places you have been to! Especially when I don't have any travel plans at all (besides Whistler) in the next year, lame! Have fun making more scooter-porn!
4th October 2006

Nice!
Father Neu- Great scooter porn. Hope you continue to enjoy your travels! Ryan

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb