35:49:16N 27:13:15E


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
August 4th 2004
Published: August 4th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Well, I got as far as Karpathos - 60 miles and then we anchored in a secluded bay miles away from anywhere.  That night, the winds set in and lasted for 3 days, so we were stuck.  All there was nearby was some ruins from an ancient port, one old guy (it took half an hour of charades to establish that his name was "John"), his missus, five goats, two cats ("gato"), a well and a fig tree.  Good job that there was plenty of booze on board.  After three days of that (at which point, I was ready to hammer a nail into the back of my hand for something to do - I settled for a bit of snorkelling instead)  we decided to bite the bullet, risk our lives and race through 2 narrow gorges into the big drink and onward to attain some semblance of civilisation or, at the very least, a pub.
The people were pretty laid back and (obviously) trusting.  A couple from Exmouth who decided to retire early and do the lifestyle thang by sailing the Med and possibly the world (They were pretty competent, so no nightmares).  They also had a friend with them who was taking a short holiday. For that reason, and coz the weather was arse, I didn't get to Rhodes/Kos with them, so I will need to catch the ferry from here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 115; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb