Rhodes


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
August 1st 2017
Published: August 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Rhodes today, after a busy time sightseeing in the last ports we decided to slow down and just wander the UNESCO World Heritage Old Town which is one of the best preserved and most carefully restored medieval towns in Europe.

The Old Town is still surrounded by the walls built by the Knights of St John. The Palace of the Grand Masters was the 14th century seat of the Grand Masters; it was well maintained until 1856, when an explosion destroyed much of the building. The palace was reconstructed by the Italians during their stay on the island; we agreed it was one of the most amazing palaces we had visited.

We walked to Mandraki Harbour, which has been in use since the 5th century BC and was the main harbor for Rhodes for over 2,500 years. The Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, once stood here. We returned to the ship through the cobbled streets of the old town admiring the old buildings to board for our overnight sailing to Patmos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



3rd August 2017

I'm jealous!
Loving the tales of your trip. The photos are incredible! You look so warm. It's 7 degrees in McKinnon, but feels like 5! Brrrrrr!!! Keep on enjoying and making me jealous!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb