Outnumbered by goats


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
May 19th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

so, found a computer after 2 days on the little island of Folegandros, on which we have a good few days. we are kind of winding down now, just taking it easy (although none of it has been strenuous!) and are just happy to explore the little islands around us, where there are few tourists, and so can experience a bit of real greece. first, let me fill you in on the last 4 days or so.
On thursday, still on santorini, we got the bus from the main town where we were staying, to a smaller village on the south side of the island, to see the venitian castle and the volcanic red beach. however, the castle was closed, so we just made the treck, which was a bit of a climb, round the bay to the red beach, which was pretty impressive. after that, we headed back round the bay for a greek salad and a bottle of mythos for lunch in a little cafe right on the sea front, and just enjoyed the sun until the bus picked us up. we got back at about 5, so grabbed a bottle of wine and had a few drinks back at the room before we went back up to the old town for a pre-match gyros (greek style kebab) for tea, before finding an irish style bar which was showing the leeds match. we watched it with another couple from leeds who were here to watch it, a couple in their 50s, proper leeds bloke he was. it was happy hour when we got there, 2 cocktails for 8 euros) and i was just about to get myself one when the bloke said to the waitress, "sorry love, we dont drink cocktails in leeds". that made me smile, and instead got 2 bottles of corona. 15 euros!!! i could not believe it. i made that last, i can tell u! it was funny watching the game in the middle of dancing american college girls pulling shapes to nelly and shaggy that the dj was playing, but there were chants of "wembley, wembley..!!!" at the end of the game.
the next day we made the trip to the volcano, on a different island, and climbed to the top of this one, although it was mcuh smaller than etna. then we sailed round the the hot springs, which we had to jump off the boat to get to (Alex climbed into the sea like a girl - KA) due to my contact lenses! the hot springs were tepid at best, but still fun to see. i did have the unpleasant experience of walking into a french woman, about 60, getting into here swimming suit at the back of the boat, sadly an image that has haunted me since. when we got back, we were planning to get the donkey back up the many, many steps from the old port back to the town, but they were not looking well treated, and the cable car was 8 euros, so i made us walk. kerry nearly passed out towards the top, but was revitalised by a cheese and spinach pasty and a sprite when we got to the top. a good day all round.
since we have got to Folegandros we have wandered round the little village, which is amazing, and yesterday we had one of the best days of the trip, hiring a quadbike, which took kerry a fair while to get the hang of (the guy even said he would prefer me to drive it, despite kerry having the drivers licence) but we were on the road in no time, exploring every hidden corner of the island, finding some amazing little bays and coves, untouched by man. ours is the only village on the island, apart from a few farm houses, one of which we stopped for lunch, and i had the best feed since leaving italy, telling the bloke i wanted to try the local grup, and i got a heaped plate of goat stew, which was amazing. kerry played it safe with a greek salad. towards the end of the day, i had my first experience of driving a motorised vehicle on a road, driving down to the port, not far from our village (he almost drove into a wall when trying to park - KA) but returned the quadbike and ourselves in tact for 7pm, after which we had a box of wine on the balcony in our place, and then had an ace tea in the village square, with the waitress rather shamelessly flirting with me all night. (in hisdreams, she was cordial at best! KA). kerry was too busy with her face in her food to notice! and that is it folks. (Checking u out!) we are climbing the cliff today above the village which has an old church, and great views of the village, which is built on the side of a cliff 2. hope all is well home,

Alex and kerry xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb