Greek Island 10 day adventure


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
October 27th 2007
Published: October 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,
Today is day 6, but our first day to be able to log on to the internet. We had an uneventful trip to Athens, and on to Santorini, but an unpleasant surprise awaited us when we opened our luggage in Santorini. An apparent leak inside the cargo hold of the plane from Atlanta to Newark (we think) resulted in a soggy mess in one of our mega cases. Clothing was not only wet, it was stained with a green "goo", that would not wash out. So far, I have thrown away a favored pair of pants, a brand new knit top, and 4 pair of E Ray's underwear. Those of you who have traveled with us in the past, know that E Ray packs light, so the underwear issue will be critical any day now.

Our accomodation in Santorini was amazing. A hill side hotel, with a view of the Caldera that would take your breath away!! Proof that G_d loves us and wants us to be happy! Our second day on Santorini resulted in "breath taking" jewelry for K Ray.... sapphires, diamonds and 18 kt gold; proof that E Ray loves me and wants me to be happy!!! We spotted our first Smart Car on day 2, in Fira, the main commercial area of Santorini. I am sending photo to my fellow Smartie fan, Daisy in Australia. She has a group on flickr.com dedicated to Smart Car sightings.

We toured the island on our 2nd day in Santorini, and have some really good photos. We visited an Episcopal Church that is more than 1000 years old; the photos will be on flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/krayrph, after Nov 6th.

We arrived yesterday in Mykonos by hydrofoil, "The Flyingcat 4"; a fast, smooth 2 1/4 hr boat ride. Mykonos, like Santorini, is even more beautiful than we remembered. The hotel property (Porto Mykonos Hotel) is also beautiful. A hillside "village", complete with it's own whitewashed chapel, two pools and an overlook of the main commercial area of Mykonos. We toured the town last night, taking photos of the spectacular sunset from the identical spot where Anthony Quinn, portraying Aristotle Onassis, performed the tradition Greek "plate smashing" dance. Hollywood history!

Today is Lisa's birthday, so we are thinking of her today, and wishing her a wonderful birthday. We shall toast her properly prior to tonight's dinner!

Our weather has been surprisingly warm. We did encounter rain on the 2nd day in Santorini..... but as our waiter at the cafe' said "Not to worry, it will rain for 10 minutes, you will get wet, but then the sun comes out and you will be dry again". And so it goes!

We plan to see more of Mykonos today, and "just be lazy". Mykonos is famous for it's millions of cats, so we are escorted by at least 6 or so cats everywhere we step. Cats at breakfast, cats at lunch, cats at afternoon tea, and of course, cats at dinner. Meow, meow, meow!

Now that I have discovered wi-fi in the hotel lobby, where champagne is constantly being served, I shall blog more frequently.... for you as well as for me!

Life is Good; Enjoy the Ride,
K Ray

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb