Greek Islands..Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
October 28th 2007
Published: October 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We remain on the island of Mykonos; today is our last full day here, as we leave tomorrow for Athens. Although the weather has turned cool, this has been a perfect time to be here. The tourist are all but gone, and some of the shops have already closed for the season, so we practically have the island to ourselves! The Porto Mykonos Hotel is idyllic, with it's whitewashed villas, heated pools, expansive balconies, and perfect hillside location. There is even a lovely chapel on the property. Sidewalks twist and turn in every direction, leading guests around the property and down to the village of Mykonos. Every day there are one or more smaller cruiseships coming into port, but they seldom stay overnight, leaving the island peaceful and quiet. Large ferries come in and out each day, with some remaining for repairs positioned directly across the narrow street from The Porto Mykonos Hotel.

I "gave myself the day off", yesterday
, leaving the camera behind each time we walked down to the village. My injured vertebrae do not allow me to hang the camera from my neck, so I have to always cradle it in my hand. At 8 to 9 pounds, (with a telephoto VR lens) the equipment becomes heavy quickly.

Eric and I decided to forego the tour of Delos, the sacred island of the Cyclades chain. With all the ruins we have toured previously, from Athens to Rome, to Pompeii to Olympia, Delphi, and Kusadasi, we believe we have stumbled through enough "ruins" to last a life time. Instead, we may sit at a sidewalk cafe' in the village to play our favorite games, "Guess the Nationality" or "Spot the Americans". Yesterday, (and our friend Ernie will love this one) we encountered a couple dresssed head-to-toe in University of Georgia gear.... hats to shoes... UGA, UGA, UGA!! I regretted having left the camera at the hotel, as Ernie would have loved that shot!! Also, on our flight from Athen to Santorini on Tuesday, a young man was wearing an Auburn hat; we gave him a "War Eagle".... and it didn't even hurt! (Roll Tide!)

More from Athens.....
K Ray



Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb