Paradise at last


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
September 16th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for not posting as often as promised. But as we have made it to a truly beautiful place we are kicking back enjoying this terrific place.

If you would like to have a look at our second lot of digs go to www.dreamislandhotel.gr yes it does look as good as the brochure.

Since our last post we survived our night at Hotel le gatwick and were well and truly on time for our 630am flight to athens.

We had another good flight they seat the aircraft depending on how early you checked in and as we checked in the night before we were first on and got a choice of seats.

Upon our arrival in Athens we found out the quickest way to the port was by bus.

Chris was in charge of purchasing the tickets (and seeing as she gave the man a 40 euro tip) she will no longer be in charge of the purse strings. To her credit she figured out she had commited a very genorous act and returned to aforementioned ticket seller and got her 40 euro back (that's my girl). The man tried to assure us he had tried to chase us down and return the money but obviously the tip was so heavy he just couldn't catch up to us.

We went to Pireaus where we were catching our ferry to Santorini (they often say 1 in 5 people have mental illness in Pireaus it's more like 5 in 5 and they all found where we were waiting for our ferry)

We also found out why bottled water is so cheap. It's because you have to pay to get rid of it out of your body as well. Chris is slowly developing a larger bladder to ensure we don't blow our travel b udget on peeing.

A cabin was the order of the day after our long journey and as soon as we left port we slept for the majority of the journey. We did wake up in time to have a shower and get very confused with the doors in the boat. We just lingered around until someone went through and snuck in behind them. This was required as when Chris first attempted it I'm pretty sure she set off half the alarms in the boat.

Upon arrival in Santorini at 330am we went to the accomodation info and met a man who showed us the hotel we could stay at as long as we stayed at his hotel for the first night.

The brochure looked fine so we agreed but we're pretty sure he photographed someone elses hotel.

We were slightly untrusting of people at this time and so handing over your passport at 330 in the morning and being taken to a little dimly lit room where very few things work is a bit unnerving. However true to his word we woke up alive in the same place we had gone to sleep he fed us a great breakfast (where we met a great couple and their daughter from Aussie who were sold the same deal) he then took us to our new hotel which is as fantastic as promised.

We're pretty sure we can get some photos uploaded but are heading out for some dinner while watching the sunset over the caldera (it's a hard life being us aye).

So we will post again tomorrow and get some photos to you. We now have 4 memory cards filling rapidly.

PS Thanks again to all you guys who are posting comments. We'll email you over the next few days.

Take Care and talk again soon.


Advertisement



17th September 2006

Sounds Like Fun
Hiya guys, great to read up on your new adventures. Well done chris on the euro tip, I would have been totally confused. Picked up mum and dad from the Airport on saturday, they are great, they were really tired so dropped them off for a well deserved rest. A south african shop has opened in Hornby so of course I made a complete pig of myself and ate an entire bag of "cook sisters" (I know that is not the correct spelling of them) The kids are on holiday as of next friday, (YAY), and I will be buying a few crates of red wine to get me through the next 2 weeks (just kidding). Sounds like you guys are having a ball, maybe look at moving to santorini and open a "HANGI" shop eh. Weather a wee bit chipper today, got stuck into the garden yesterday, and still so much to do. Not to worry with the warmer weather on the way and lighter for longer we can get more done and just live on BBQ's. Well take care, say hi to a greek for me!! Love Mel, Zac, Finn and Miss Caity xxx

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb