Across the Med


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Rhodes
October 19th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We set sail from Piraeus with light rain and gentle breezes. As is customary on this Line, the sails are raised to the sounds of Vangelis: its not as cheesy as it sounds particularly with this much sail! The cruise has continued with winds below 25kts and just one night anyone would regard as rough. There are currently about 120 passengers aboard and this will reduce to about 50 for the crossing. The crew and passengers come from 35 countries though passengers are primarily. Europeans, Yanks and Australians. Greg has had his hands on the wheel just once so far but more to come. The ship is reaching under 75% of its sails and about 9kts: no greyhound.

Mykonos was lovely with the picturesque harbour and whitewashed houses and narrow lane ways. Particularly good because the tourist hordes have moved home for the year. We had a chance to sailboard from the beach which apparently is going to be a rare chance on this trip.

Rhodes was pleasant and the people very friendly. Like any of the islands, I could imagine finding an isolated cove with one little cafe and settling in for some time. We bought four pieces of spectacular glassware after a theatrically inspired bargaining session. This will come home in Greg's luggage. Interesting, though not explicit links between the fortifications here and Masonic history through the Crusader Knights who defended it centuries ago.

On the second night aboard we met a gregarious Swede who was buying drinks all around. It turned out he is the owner of the Star Clipper line as well as other ships and so despite the intrinsic economics of sailing (tending towards negative cash flow), we guessed he could afford the drinks. He and his wife were wonderfully gracious and we learnt much about these ships and cruising as a business.

Much has also been made in daily talks, about how special an ocean crossing is, and we both feel that excitement. Still it won't start properly until we depart Safaga and head down the Red Sea.

Next step an excursion in Cairo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb