chilling out inParos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Paros
April 29th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Paros,Greek Islands


Wednesday 29th April
Chilliin’ out on Paros
Another day in paradise was ahead for us as the day dawned bright and clear with no wind again.
Watched the BBC who are trying to scare us with the Swine Flu outbreak in Mexico.However the Greek Islands seem so far from the rest of the world that it is hard to believe that it could affect this area.Although we realise that with travel around the world so easy it is only a matter of time before we come across warnings and even people wearing masks as the alert heightens.One must just take all precautions and we have our hand cleanser and wipes and can avoid big crowds other than when we are travelling.
Our self made breakfast was delicious again with Greek yogurt and fruit plus a very tasty ham and cheese pastry that was big enough to feed us both.We are running out of the Nescafe coffee we brought in Turkey and we hope that the Greek variety we will need to buy soon is just as good.It was the Classic variety but seemed to be darker and stronger than the NZ equivalent.
We took a stroll through the back streets of the town and almost got lost in the maze of alleyways containing shops and apartments of the locals.We called into a building constructed during the Frankish era which we think dates back to the time of the Crusades but will check that out when we can get online again.Fasinating interior now being used as a church.The dome of the building was a vivid blue and the light that shone through gave a hue inside that was easy on the eye.The view from the area surrounding the building was over the harbour and we watched one of the 10 or so ferries that arrive and depart from Paros each day.
We journeyed onto the end of the curve of the harbour and walked up a small rise to catch a different outlook back over the town.We passed a group of young schoolchildren looking excited about a trip out of town.A smile and a wave brought back the same from the children who probably wonder where we are from.Ande we have had to pinch ourselves on the odd occasion to remind ourselves that we are actually here in this little bit of paradise.
On the way back for a lunchtime siesta we purchased our tickets on the fast ferry to Mykonos tomorrow.
By mid afternoon we were ready for more activity so it was off in the other direction to our morning walk with the aim of reaching an intriguing old looking building at the point leading into the harbour.The temperature was in the low 20’s and pleasant for walking.The walk took us past more hotels and apartments most currently still closed awaiting the summer season to start.Most had good size pieces of land around them and some of the houses had olive tree orchards and a few had growing vineyards.As we rounded one corner a huge rotweiler dog suddenly aroused and started barking and looking very threatening.Thankfully there was a tall gate and fence and an owner nearby to quiten it down as we got startled by the sudden breaking of the peace and quiet.On the hillside were examples of the way paddocks were created by buiding stone walls many of which were still in place and they are still using the same method today as the stone resource appears to be unlimited.There were also a few remaining examples of very old buildings with just a door and a couple of small windows that we guessed served as homes many years ago but now uninhabited.The road meandered its way and after about 75 mins we reached our goal at the point.The old building which was now just a shell had been a house and we assume it may have been a lighthousekeepers home before the light on the point was automated.There was also a church on the point which seemed odd as it was a good way back to the houses on the road leading to the point.The view back to the town gave us another perspective.
We headed back passing a man and topless woman wading in the clear water at one of the little sandy beaches where the road ran along the seaside.
We were back home in about 2 and half hours and reckoned the walk was worth about 8km return.The two 500ml cold beers were waiting the fridge and went down very easily.Amazing that imported beer from EU contries is so cheap.These cost 54 cents (€)each!!
We had decided that we should try the seafood tonight and so headed for dinner as the sun set.I had swordfish which was very tasty accompanied with a dressing of 50/50 lemon and olive oil while Gretchens’ fried squid was not up to her expectations.She wished they had been able to grill it and so that is what she will be looking for next time fish is on the menu.
The moon is making a little progress in size each night and so we walked the short distance home to coffee and bed.


Advertisement



1st May 2009

Mind you stay away from anything on a Greek or Croatian menu saying it is Lemon Pan-Fried Fish - sounds like a nice fillet of fish pan-fried with lemon. But what you are acutally presented with is a plate of grilled sprats. Fell into that trap one too many times!
1st May 2009

Fun in the sun
Sounds like fun in the sun but the reality is there is swine flu in NZ!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb