World famous for its windmills - Paros to Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
April 30th 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Paros to Mykonos


Thursday 30th April
World famous for its windmills - Paros to Mykonos
We awoke to any beautiful,calm day.We are now expecting the weather to be like this every day and I dare say we will be most upset when we do eventually strike rain again.The BBC news continues to be doom and gloom about swine flu although they don’t want to call it that in Europe as it will affect their pig trade.So while we are listening to what is being said we have decided not to concern ourselves until we come across people wearing masks.
What more can one say about Greek yogurt.It truly is delicious,so creamy and thicker than the plastic like stuff we are used to in NZ.Bring on more of it !!We are going to be looking for Greek yogurt even when we have to leave Greece and it will be a staple of our self made breakfast.
We took another stroll after breakfast and headed up the slight rise behind our hotel to where we came across the local soccer ground complete with terraces and sound system.At first glance we thought now that was well watered and looked after grass until closer inspection revealed it was artificial.In reality nothing was that green around the tiown.
We watched truck loads of sand craned onto a rusty ship that seemed to also be dredging from the harbour.It had left port yesterday and we assumed it took the sand out to the open sea to dump.The same men were still fixing their nets on the little fishing boats tied up alongside the seaside sidewalk.This morning there were a couple of larger boast inwith complicated looking winches and nets and other stuff all over the aft deck that it didn’t look like there was a clear path between the wheelhouse and where the hauling of nets would take place.
We arrived back at the hotel and picked up the suitcases and walked back towards the shopping area.We hadn’t tried Greek coffee yet and as we had some time to fill in we chose a coffee shop from where we could people watch going to and from the wharf.The coffee came in tiny cups and was very strong,which suited us both.As one drank to the bottom you had to avoid taking too many of the coffee grains on board.
Lunch was hotdog flavoured Lays chippies and oranges plus a chocolate bar that looked like it contained strawberry crème but turned out to probably be cooking chocolate.We had certainly had our fix of coffee and chocolate for the day !!
We watched a Blue Star ferry arrive in and unload trucks and cars and the little roundabout became jammed with vehicles.I must say though the traffic clears quickly and people all seem very patient for their turn to go.There was an interesting sight of 3 American girls all hauling too much luggage.Getting on and off ferries means that it is an advantage to travel as light as possible and we were to be able to confirm this for ourselves when it came time to board the fast ferry to Mykonos.While waiting in the covered area for the ferry to arrive we got chatting to a couple from Dallas who were on a two month trip and had been through Italy and had come up from Crete.They gave us soime insight into options on Crete which was to be at the end of our wandering through the Greek Islands.
The gate to the wharf opened and we made our way across to the SuperCat4 respendant in Vodophone colours and signage.Gretchen wanted some of the water in the bath tub to be taken out as it proved a struggle to climb the narrow gangway and then finally 4 or 5 steps onto the ferry itself.A crewman finally took pity on her and helped the last little bit.
The ferry was soon on its way and sped,literally,across the water making Mykonos in a lttle over 45mins.Now I am not sure what speed the thing did but it was mighty fast.Luckily the sea was again calm as I think the motion would be like riding a bucking horse if it was rough.There were sick bags in all the seats at the ready !!
All too soon we arrived in Mykonos and there was the challenge to go down the few steps and gangway.Gretchen had pretty well sussed it out and she achieved it unaided on this occasion.
There was the usual clamour of people offering accommodation at the gates to the dock and we ended up with Eleni after Gretchen had negotiated the rate down from€40 to €30.Eleni told us not to tell anyone that she had agreed to such a low rate.
We loaded the bags into her car and she drove us around the road and entered the town from behind the main area of activity.As we were to discover the alleyways were designed to confuse pirates in the olden days and were only wide enough to walk or at best rise a scooter through.
She showed us to our room which was clean and functional although windowless except for a window high up near the tall ceiling that gave some natural lightfrom what turned out to be the terrace area two flights up.The toilet and shower was all in together but this time we would be able to hang the showerhead on a hook and stand under it rather than try and shower by hand.
We took a walk of orientation down to the waterfront where all the activity seemed to be walking down the narrow alleyways past shops and places where the locals lived as well as tourist accommodation.Everything here was painted white !!Even the pavement was painted in a white hopscotch pattern.We found a couple of restaurants that had free wifi and as it was a while since we have been in touch with the world we decided we would opt for dinner at one of these.
We enjoyed a couple of beers on the terrace in the late afternoon sun after getting some supplies in for breakfast and tomorrows lunch.
Then it was time for dinner.We joined the throngs of people on the waterfront many of whom were off the Costa Line cruise ship that was anchored just a couple of hundred metres off shore.
Dinner was Pistacchio for me,a bowl of pasta with minced meat and covered with a cheese sauce all of which was very tasty while Gretchen opted for the meatballs with chips and a small salad,also very tasty.The beers tonight though came in rather expensive with the 500ml Heinekins costing €4.50 each,double our usual spend !!But at least we could check emails and update the blog for free !!
Eating so late means there is no time for telly when one gets back to the room and it didn’t take long for sleep to come.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb