Last Day in Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
October 29th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, after breakfast and blogging, Eric and I walked down to the village (Hora), and as we approached we noticed there were hundreds of people lined up in two directions at the tiny church on the ferry dock. We soon discovered we had the good fortunate of being "at the right place at the right time" on a Greek holiday celebrating the nation's independence. Apparently, being Sunday, it was also a day for communion service at the tiny church. Ferry boats full of Greeks poured into town and the passengers lined up behind hundreds of others to enter the church. What a difference a day makes! On Saturday, the village was all but empty, and many merchants appeared to be closing for the winter season. Yesterday, every cafe' was filled to capacity with families. Many of the children were dressed in typical Greek "costumes", and the famous Mykonos pelicans, huge beautiful birds with multi-colored beaks, were posing for photographs at the statue where wreaths and Greek flags had been placed. Two of the three pelicans were strutting their stuff to the max. As there was no place to sit at the dozen or so cafes, Eric and I continued around the back of the dock to "Little Venice", one of the most photographed spots on earth. We stopped in at the famous "Rhapsody Bar and Grill" for a bloody mary, and to photograph the Mykonos windmills from the bar's balcony. We proceeded on to "Little Venice Restaurant", where we were told the fresh fish was excellent..... and served whole! Tempted only slightly by the waiter's insistance on the fish, I decided to play it safe and order french fries! Eric ordered 3 appetizers: marinated octopus, stuffed grape leaves, and grilled feta cheese. The fries were some of the best I've ever had; hot, crispy, and golden in color, sprinkled with a mixture of herbs and sea salt. OK, so my doctor wouldn't approve of my menu selection, but I seldom eat "white foods", and after all, it was a local holiday! "When in Rome......."

On our walk back to the hotel, which is about 3/4 of a mile and UP HILL ALL THE WAY, we found a gelatoria and could not resist the temptation. For those of you who cruised to Italy with us in June, I have a photo of Eric and his cup of gelato, as it made us think of you and the wonderful trip we all enjoyed. We also dicovered a Smart car, cleverly painted with the owner's name; my next contribution to the "Smarter" site on flickr.com that my Smart car obscessed Aussie friend, Daisy, administers.

We shall depart Mykonos at 4pm today for Athens, where we will have two nights at a hotel overlooked by the Acropolis. We haven't been to Athens for 10 years, so it will almost be like a first visit.... which, of course, means lots of photos. We are hoping the selected accomodation in Athens will be as pleasant and comfortable as those in Santorini & Mykonos. Our fingers are crossed!

More from Athens tomorrow,

Peace,
K Ray




Advertisement



10th November 2007

Great Trip!
Karen, Your blog indicates that you have had a wonderful trip! I have enjoyed reading about your adventures. You are like my husband - a super traveler. I know you are already thinking about where you want to go on your next trip. What is going to be your destination? Stay safe, E

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb