Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kim & Kara In MykonosKim & Kara In MykonosKim & Kara In Mykonos

This was a photo we took in Mykonos at the little (rocky) beach in front of our hotel.
Our first stop in the Greek Islands!

In hindsight, it was probably never going to be the best idea arriving somewhere new in Greece on Easter Sunday! Everything was closed! There was little to do except partake in a pricy (at 35 euro per head) traditional Greek Easter lunch at our hotel. We also got a bottle of wine, which were meant to pay for on check out, but in the end they never charged us for it. Ah well, you can't say no to free grog!

The location of our hotel also presented some problems, as it was so far away from anything. The hotel had regularly shuttle buses going in and out of the town, but that only got you half way to all the beaches. So on one of the days, we ended up hiring a four-wheel motorbike, which was more stable than a scooter and cheaper than hiring a car.

Our first stop on the bike was Paradise Beach, where we realised it was actually hot enough to get the bathers out. Where our hotel was, on the other side of the island, it was always windy and cool. So after only five
Kim at beachKim at beachKim at beach

This is at a beach called "Paradise", on the other side of Mykonos Island from our hotel. We had to get there by hiring a 4-wheel motorbike. It was much warmer on this side of the island, and less windy.
minutes there, we took a 40 minute journey back to the hotel to get our togs and went back again. We stayed there for the rest of the day, as it was so beautiful and relaxing, as you can probably tell from the photos.

The beach was full of American kids on Spring Break, though. I don't know about you, but when I was at uni I could barely afford a trip to Queensland let alone being able to traips through the Greek Islands!

The rest of the time in Mykonos was spent shopping, although it was pretty expensive, so we didn't get much at all.

Our last day there sucked majorly, as the smaller boat we were meant to get on to go to Ios didn't sail that day because of the bad weather. This forced us to travel on a bigger and slower ferry, which got to Ios in six hours, where the little one was going to get us there in about two.

The ferry was also late by nearly an hour in picking us up, so we had to wait in the freezing cold wind. The ferry was also very bumpy, causing
Kara at beachKara at beachKara at beach

This is Kara at "Paradise Beach" in Mykonos. The beach is quite a party beach, although this is not really the busy season just yet, and the beach wasn't exactly packed. But you could tell it would be in peak season - there is full bar facilities along the beach and retaurants, etc. Very nice place.
mild nausea, but we got there in the end!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kim on bikeKim on bike
Kim on bike

Kim on the bike at Mykonos. Kim did all the driving of the bike - Kara was a bit nervous about it. There was nothing to be nervous about Kim's driving ability (although this photo makes me look a bit awkward!), but the Greek drivers and the Greek road rules are insane. I cant understand either. Got a few toots on the horn, but nothing a quick flick of the bird didn't solve!
Streets of MykonosStreets of Mykonos
Streets of Mykonos

This is a typical lane in the main shopping district of Mykonos' main town. Very narrow little pathways, with lots of little shops. There are heaps of jewellery stores, designer clothes stores, cafe's, pharmacies, etc. Heaps. Very poky little places. The Greeks deliver stuff through to the shops on little motorbikes, and they are just as mad in there. Gotta watch out for them.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb