Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
April 11th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KaraKaraKara

Kara at old olympic games site, the first modern olympic games were held here, and they were also used partly for the 2004 Athens games.
Arrived in Athens on Thursday night at about 6pm local time from Heathrow. The plane was delayed slightly, possibly due to sailors held captive in Iran returning to Heathrow airport that morning. Athens was a nice 17-degrees when we arrived.

We got our airport transfer and went straight to hotel. We basically just slept until the morning because we were really buggered from all the travelling.

The next morning we went on an Athens sightseeing tour. It went trough all the major tourist spots, Hadrian's Gate, Temple of Zeus and Parliament Building, then to the Acropolis.

Acropolis was massive, but there were heaps of people there. Was a bit of an effort to get around to everything. We wish we'd gone back again, and we did try again the next day, but the trading hours were reduced due to Easter. Acropolis is massive in size and structure. The Turks destroyed a fair chunk of it in 1600s, and it was a pity. It would have been such a awesome place to visit when it was all in tact. Even still, it was impressive. The guide said it was mainly built by 3 people, and took them many years
Kim and KaraKim and KaraKim and Kara

Kim and Kara at old Olympic site in Athens.
- 20 i think. They didn't use slaves, which makes it even more impressive.

After the tour we went to the main street, had a look at shops and had lunch, There are many markets in streets of Athens. Lots of people selling fake designer handbags and wallets and belts, but we were'nt tempted to buy anything.


Things are quite expensive in Athens, as going out for lunch costs about 30-35 Euro for the food - which is about $A55. We are trying to keep restaurant food to minimum to save money.

Went back to hotel and relaxed and then had a Athens 'Tour By Night'. Went down to Piraeus Port and had some Ouzo (Ouzo is rotten stuff, some of the Greeks drink it like water, but it is harsh), and Greek snack food.

Then went into central Athens to a traditional Greek meal and Greek dancing and singing. Was pretty cool night, the crowd really gets into it.

Kim had to get up on stage to dance with the belly-dancing lady. Quite funny for all concerned, except Kim! Bit embarrassing for Kim - although later on a lady got up on stage
Athens - AcropolisAthens - AcropolisAthens - Acropolis

Kim at Acropolis. You can see the theathre thing down to the side where they used to have plays and things in ancient times.
with another guy (not part of the show) and started dancing and they were dancing that fast that her boob fell out. Kim didnt feel so bad after that! Was a really cool night, very interesting. Got back to hotel a bit after midnight.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb