Cabin Fever


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Kalymnos
September 8th 2023
Published: September 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

So here we both are, stuck in COVID isolation in our hotel suite. Issy’s thankfully feeling a bit better today, but not really well enough to go anywhere. And anyway, I think she still needs to be avoiding crowds for a day or so yet, and then only with a mask for a few days after that.

So what to write about when by far the most exciting event for the day was a thrilling trip to the supermarket, with mask on of course, to stock up on a few essential supplies. Actually that wasn’t the day’s most exciting event, but more about that later. My throng of faithful subscribers, all five of you, will be pleased to know that in order to fill in a few hours I’ve formulated a new law. Some other bored blogger’s probably patented it already, but on the off chance that they haven’t, I’ve opted to call it "The Inverse Blog Law". Now on days when you’ve been out all day to multiple different attractions, all of them interesting, you inevitably get back exhausted and ready for bed. But no, there’s work to be done. There’s a blog entry to write, and because it’s been a long and interesting day it’s supposed to be a long entry ….. if only you could stay awake. Then there are days like today. Endless hours available … and absolutely nothing to write about. So the Inverse Blog Law is as follows: “The amount of time available to write a blog entry is inversely proportional to the length of the entry”. There that should do it.

If you’re still awake after reading the previous paragraph, you probably need to get out more. Anyway, my beloved Blues are playing in the finals back in Melbourne today, for the first time in a decade. When we left home they’d just lost six matches in a row; they were fifteenth on the table and long odds to make the finals. On that basis I decided to extend our holiday, which has subsequently proven to a poor decision. Since then they’ve won nine of their ten games, which means I’m going to miss seeing them play in a final in Melbourne for the first time since 1970. 1970!! I was still at school in 1970.

So the other thing I do today is watch the game on my iPad. And the Blues win, but only just, and there are some very nervous moments in the last quarter, particularly right at the end. This is very exciting, and much more so than its only competition for the day’s most exciting event - the trip to the supermarket. Now Issy‘s been a bit bored today. She didn’t get to accompany me on the supermarket trip, and she’s not interested in football. So what does she decide to do to amuse herself after she gets tired of counting the floor tiles, well that would be to video me as I watch the game. And then she decides to post the video on Facebook. I thought I was being very calm and collected as the seconds ticked down to the final siren, but the video evidence would seem to suggest otherwise. Who is that raving lunatic pacing backwards and forwards across the room yelling inane comments at an inanimate screen? I can only put it down to the virus, it’s got to be the virus.

It seems we’re not the only members of the our group who’ve tested positive to the dreaded virus, which is probably not all that surprising given we’ve all been in such close proximity to each other for the past couple of weeks. Everyone’s been told to take precautions, and apparently only a handful of Rembrandts managed to make it to today’s painting session at a local monastery. It sounds like the farewell dinner in a couple of night’s time might be a fairly quiet affair, which is really sad. We’ve had a great time with a really wonderful group of people, and it would have been nice for us all to be able to celebrate together.

I think we’ve both got cabin fever now, which might be worse than COVID. Maybe we might try to find a deserted beach to sit on tomorrow …. with our masks on …. mustn’t forget to wear our masks. Anyway, we’ve got to look for the positives. The sunset’s nice, stunning really, and it’d make for great photos if not for the thick power lines running right across the front of our balcony.… Positives David, got to look for the positives.

Advertisement



10th September 2023

Covid Fever
We thought we were immune as multi-vaccinated and headed off the Bluesfest 2022 saying if ever we'd get it, it'd be there, among the thousands in Blues Heaven close quarters. Waving as we left after several days saying, "We thought we'd get Covid but we are fine. Arriving back in Sydney doing a RAT Test to prove we were right, which only proved we were wrong!!! You like us, got Covid 'cos you're having such a carefree good time. Sometimes karma says, "Life is a balance...you can't always have the best of the best time, all of the time!!!" Keep smiling.
18th November 2023

COVID at bluesfest
Big crowds equals COVID I think, unfortunately. Good to hear you didn't suffer too much. We've got some very close friends who go to Blues Fest every year, and just love it. They got stuck there the year they called it off due to COVID and then didn't let anyone leave (I think I've got that right).
13th September 2023

COVID isolation.
You really did give the inverse blog a lot of thought. LOL. I'm glad you are making the best of it.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb