A Guide to Driving in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
November 30th 1999
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Negotiating Right of WayNegotiating Right of WayNegotiating Right of Way

No, please, you first.
We are tired tonight after driving all day. Greek television is really really bad and we don't like night clubs or bars, so the internet cafes are good places to hang out. At the risk of boring you, I'd like to recommend a few strategies for coping with driving in Greece tonight, and catch up on some of the amazing sites we have visited at a later date.


Driving in major suburban centres:

1. Road rules are more like driving suggestions than rules.

2. At intersections, the person who has the nose of their car in fron has right of way.

3. The above rule does not apply if the person in front hesitates.

4. One way streets are only one way when nobody is travelling in the opposite direction.

5. Parking is allowed. Any direction, any place. Any marked parking bays are strictly there for aesthetic appeal.

6. Double parking is perfectly acceptable as long as the people who are 'parked in' do not return to their cars. When affected drivers return to their cars, they should honk the horn loudly and continuously until the outside car owner returns to let them
Street ParkingStreet ParkingStreet Parking

I'll only be a minute.
out.

7. Stop signs; stop if you feel the urge - or if you see a train coming.


Driving on Major Arterial Roads

1. "There is no speed limit in Greece." - This was the advice given to us by our new friend Ilias when we asked before setting out yesterday. It was said somewhat wistfully, and with a slightly pained expression, so we didn't know how seriously we should take the answer. Interestingly, we saw at least three radar traps today. Perhaps it means that there is no speed limit until you get caught.

2. When driving on major roads, the lane markings take on a special significance. Double lines down the centre mean that there is a slightly elevated risk of head on collision if you choose to overtake.

3. The line which normally indicates the verge is actually the mid-line that one should follow if one expects to be overtaken. The verge forms a kind of half-lane where one can move to avoid being hit by faster traffic coming in either direction.

4. Driving at night is dangerous. Oncoming traffic headlights make driving down the centre line even more hazardous.
Position, position, positionPosition, position, positionPosition, position, position

The miracle of half-lanes
For this reason, drivers should increase speed in order to complete the journey in the shortest possible time.

Those of you who know Richard's driving habits will be surprised to hear that I (Dee) was the one who was getting uncomfortable about driving down the centre double unbroken lines at over 100km/hr whilst passing a truck on a bending road with a semi coming in the opposite direction. No, Richard, "Everyone else is doing it," is not a sufficient reason to overtake.


Driving on Country Roads

Driving on country roads is quite relaxing, however there are a few hazards to look out for.
1. Goat herds, their shepherds and pack animals use the road - much like cows on Australian country roads.

2. Roadworkers are not obliged to put up any signage at all. After travelling a road of similiar quality as the Jenolan Caves road (mirrors and sheer cliffs), we rounded a bend to see a man operating an excavator. He was removing the entire right-hand side of the road.

3. Pot-holes? Try a pothole the size of a semi-trailer.

Actually, we are enjoying Greek driving. Richard says the adrenalin of the overtaking
situation keeps you awake on long hauls. I am amazed that Richard's tendency to become anal about rules has completely vanished. He just says "We're in Greece" and cheerfully drives down one way streets, completely blocks intersection traffic or parks in no parking areas. There is a kind of tolerance generated when there are no rules because nobody can make a mistake. Everyone is pleasant and accomodating - far from the agitation and frustration so common on Sydney roads. The only limiting factor on the road seems to be your own sense of mortality and/or your propensity to play chicken with the other motorists.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Why wait?Why wait?
Why wait?

Heavy vehicle traffic in the Pelopennese
Driving like a GreekDriving like a Greek
Driving like a Greek

Richard begins to enjoy the double mid-line
GoatsGoats
Goats

What more can I say?


5th May 2007

Aarghhhhh!!!!!!
What a nightmare! I think I would have had several heart attacks or at least not been able to move. Now I understand why certain people in Australia drive the way they do. I said to Luke I don't think I want to drive in Greece and his reply was he didn't think he wanted to go to Greece as it sounded like it would even be frightening to be a pedestrian! Dee I think your wrong when you say that Richards anal tendencies regarding rules have completely vanished. I think he is still following the rules regardless of whether or not those rules are safe. By the way did you forget to put a picture of the Aussie driving in Greece? We'd like to keep tabs on the beard development. Can't wait for the next adventure, Cheryl.
5th May 2007

Great Work
Excellent commentary Dee......I'll pass on Greek driving tho
5th May 2007

You should talk!
John, Thanks for the advice and statistical information. Don't worry, I will not become too Greek in my driving. Each morning, before setting out I have cautioned myself and together we have been constantly alert (this is essential). Anyway, when I remember how you used to throw the mini around, I think that you would enjoy driving here too.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb