Week 2 Ionian


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Ithaki
September 24th 2010
Published: September 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Week Two Monday to Friday Sept 21 to 25
We have had a couple of days in Lefkas for Sheila to return home via Athens and James and Elizabeth to join us for couple of weeks. We left Lefkas on Monday at noon after stocking up on supplies, getting fresh towels etc. After an hour going south along the Lefkas canal we headed for Meganisi and Spartakhori/ Port Spiglia. We had the best wind of the holiday so far with about 17 to 18 knot winds with the genoa part way out we had a lovely run down for about 3 hours before getting the motor going to head into the harbour. There was a certain amount of wind but the lazy lines meant we didn’t have to worry about the anchor in fairly close quarters. Shortly after our arrival quite a few boats from a flotilla arrived, we were glad we arrived first so had more space to manoeuvre. Another wonderful meal at the local Taverna was had.
Tuesday and Wednesday: We walked up the hill to the village of Spartakhori for wonderful views and a few more supplies. We then headed for O. Abelike not far away where we had spent the night with Sheila the previous week. We anchored in almost the same place. We had a lovely afternoon swimming and relaxing. That evening we ate at the very local Taverna just on shore. The waiter/cook didn’t speak a lot of English but was able to explain enough we had local fish - bream and lamb chops cooked on the grill and the most heavily garliced tzaksiki you can imagine washed down by some excellent local wine. Wednesday was forecast to be windless and was somewhat hazy so we decided to stay another night and walk along the coast to Port Atheni the next harbour over then over to Katomeri back to Vathi and then to Abelike. It was a lovely walk with a gentle road along the water’s edge. Katomeri was a lovely little town a little higher with good views down to Vathi from the Taverna where we had lunch. That evening we decided to eat again at the local Taverna with fish, pork chop and local sausage on the menu again beautifully cooked and flavoured on the grill.
Thursday: We to headed to a new location and went south from Meganisi to Ithaca to another Vathi. It was about 20 nautical miles about half of which we were able to do under both sails at a nice steady pace. Vathi is a wonderful natural harbour with a narrow channel opening up into a large basin. We moored on the NE corner of the bay. A nice walk into the town for supplies and then back for supper at the Taverna on the dock. Communication with the owner was a little interesting. We had to select our fish and weren’t sure exactly how many we were going to get until it arrived. It fortunately turned out to be the right amount! On our return, as we were heading off to bed, a most spectacular thunder storm came over with the most torrential rain - fortunately not a lot of wind and the anchor held solidly. Twenty to thirty minute later it was all clear.
Friday: We headed into town for a leg stretch and a trip to the bakery for Spanikopita and tyropita (cheese pie) for lunch. We then set off for Kioni, reportedly one of the prettiest villages in the Ionian. It was a gentle sail for a couple of hours before turning into the harbour. We decided to arrive early partly because of the lack of wind but also to get a good spot on the N side of the quay. When we turned in to the harbour we could understand the reason for the sail guide’s description. A beautiful bay with quite steep sides doted with colourful houses and olive groves on the hills around. Time to relax and enjoy the afternoon and evening then off for a shower and supper and hopefully a fill up of the water tank in the morning.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



24th September 2010

Week Two
Hi everyone I just read the blog entry and got out my maps and book. You covered quite a distance over the week. It was good there was finally some wind for you. The book that I have has pictures of Vathy and Kioni. They look beautiful. The village of Kioni has been declared a protected settlement. I'm glad all is continuing to go well. Miss you all. Sheila

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb