Week 3 Ionian

Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Kefalonia
September 28th 2010
Published: September 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ionian Saturday to Tuesday Sept 25 to 28
Saturday and Sunday: What a rainstorm! We now know what sheet rain can be like. The heavens opened at times incredibly heavy at times less so. About 30 hours of unusual rain. Anyway Kioni is a beautiful spot with wonderful local tavernas, nice buildings and surrounded by higher hills. Friday night early Saturday morning there was lots of wind with the rain and an anchor that wasn’t completely holding. The springer lines and the wind direction held us securely though with enough depth under the boat. On Saturday it was time to teach James and Elizabeth crib, enjoy our books and generally relax and wait for the wind to drop enough so we could reset the anchor for the next night. The time came at about 3:00pm this time we had the perfect amount of chain out - nearly all and well snugged. Feeling good and secure we were able to enjoy the pork cooked on the spit and watch the bay through the lowered plastic screen of the taverna and look out at the storm and harbour.
Sunday: We decided to stay in Kioni another night, in the morning the clouds were still coming across with a few short lived showers. The arrangements to fill the water tank were made through the mother in the local mini market. The son arrived at 9:00am with the key for the hose to fill those of us at anchor who were running low. James, Elizabeth and I took a taxi up to Agoni after lunch and walked back down to Kioni. A delightful 2 hour walk in and out of the olives groves. Part way down a group of goats kept us entertained for a while. Some with bells all looking well kept with long coats rather like the highland cattle.
Monday and Tuesday: We up anchored after breakfast and headed for Kefalonia either Sami or Ay. Eufimia We had a gentle sail for a couple of hours then as the wind died went by motor most of the remainder of the way. As we turned West at the South end of Ithaca and entered Ithaca channel we upped the sails again and played with the wind for an hour and a half before entering Ay. Eufimia. It’s a nice little harbour, not as crowded as some making the backing up to the quay easier. There was a person to catch lines as we did so - fortunate as the quay is high here making jumping ashore with the lines rather challenging. This is the only place so far that we have had to pay mooring fees. The convenience of water and shore power is nice as we plan to stay until Wednesday morning. With the forecast clouds and lack of winds we decided to have a day ashore. We took a taxi to the Melissani cave where you walk down to a cave that is open to the sky as the roof collapsed with one of the earthquakes. The cave does open to the sea further down but is not accessible from the sea. We were rowed around by a small tour boat, the waters were incredibly blue and clear and the cave had quite amazing acoustics. This afternoon I think there will be a walk and the off to The North end of Kefalonia tomorrow. It seems that the weather is becoming more settled again with the winds getting closer to the NW which will be nice for James and Elizabeth’s last few days.

Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


14th October 2010

Loving your blog
I've so enjoyed reading of the foods you are enjoying - tyropita, spanokopita and the tzaziki sounds drool-worthy - yum! The Melissani Cave sounded cool - loved the pic! ThenIthacan goat looks perfectly groomed as well (gets a FIMM 7 for grooming) lol. I can not believe how much sea you have covered; what a truly amazing holiday! Keep enjoying.

Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.067s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb