Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete
June 9th 2021
Published: June 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

And the journey continues... we met Patti and Doug in Athens and the next day we flew to Crete. Picked up a rental car, and spent 8 busy days seeing the island.



We started in Chania at a great apartment in the Old town with a wonderful view, for 3 nights. Chania is a coastal city in NW Crete with a beautiful old harbor. We spent one day driving to Elafonissi Beach in the South west corner of the island. It is a beach known for its beautiful crystal clear water and pink sand. The sand wasn't really pink, but the water was beautiful. The drive was narrow mountain roads, red and white oleander in bloom and beautiful vistas.



The next day we woke to some unexpected rain, so the boat trip idea was cancelled and we roamed the streets of the Old town - narrow pedestrian walk ways with lots of small shops and restaurants/tavernas. That night there was quite abit of activity in the plaza below our apt. We later were told, the Greek Prime Minister arrived for an opening of something...



The next day we took the long road to the mountain village of Archanes in central crete. We decided to meander the mountain roads, so the 2 hr drive took about 6 hours. At one point, we were the only ones driving on some freshly paved road, when we came across the construction crew. I wish i had a picture of their expressions, when they waved us down and we asked if we were on the correct road. He told us abit indiginantly to 'return the way we came', not that we could of, we had no idea where we were. But backtracking, we saw all the detour signs telling us road closed.... we did eventually end up in Archanes.



Stayed at a wonderful traditional stone home and met Athina and her son George. The next 2 days we toured the countryside including Knossos, the Minoan ruins from 7000 BC, a family run olive processing plant, and a wine tasting sampler with a delicious dinner at the local town square.



Then it was on to the beach/port of Agios Nikalaos, in the East corner of Crete, visiting a monastery, and more beaches. Then our last night was in Rethymno, another beautiful harbor and old town with pedistrian streets and lots of shops and restaurants. And somehow in 8 days we drove 1100 kilometers on an island 166 miles long and 35 miles wide.



So, after wading thru all the covid regulations, we arrive at the Chania airport. All of us returning to Athens. We had purchased some wonderful olive oil from our visit in Archanes and boxed it up along with some souvenirs. As we check in and are asked what was in the box, we were told we could not check the olive oil. It had to be in a wooden box with sawdust.... No, no wooden box nor sawdust nearby... We had over 6 liters of olive oil and try we did, to think of some way to get it on the airplane. In the end, the gate agent agreed to let us each carry one liter of olive oil in each of our checked bags. Unfortunately, we had to toss the other 3 liters, which was very, very difficult for us to do!! Always an adventure!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The Prime Minister of GreeceThe Prime Minister of Greece
The Prime Minister of Greece

attending an event right outside our apt


12th June 2021

I loved my visits to Crete...
Your blog reminded me of that great times and good food that I enjoyed there. Since then I've discovered that several of my ancestors died in Chania on their crusade to the Holy Land.
12th June 2021

Olive Oyl again!
At least you got some of your olive oil to the next stop. Looks pretty nice to me all of what you have seen. I liked the snail and the unusual flower you saw. Enjoy your travels. What is next on your agenda? GW
13th June 2021

Beautiful Adventure
I was enjoying your post and pictures and then …….. the olive story…… so sad. So happy you are enjoying your trip, Patti and a Doug and in your element! Take care. Xoxox
18th June 2021

Olive Oil
So many olive trees and only 2 out of 6 liters of olive oil will see the US!! That’s worse than having to throw away 2 bottles of wine in the Amsterdam airport.

Tot: 1.136s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 41; qc: 153; dbt: 0.6428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.5mb