Samaria Gorge, Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Paleohora
September 5th 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Soooo, Samaria Gorge...... phew. We got up to catch the bus there at 6 a.m., took an hour of switchbacks up the mountain to where we would start our descent of about 800m into the gorge. It was down hill for about an hour before there was a level part, before more downhill. We kept up quite a steady pace, although the show offs were rushing past us, there were plenty behind us. In total, there were 580 went through that day.
The scenery was totally spectacular, there wont be words to do it justice, so I'm going to add lots of photos to this blog.
We arrived at the ancient village of Samaria at about 11.30..... almost half way. The gorge is named after a nun, Maria. Before she became one, there was a young man from her village who was so in love with her, but it was unrequited..... and so, he cut off her long hair ( as you do...?) and she was so ashamed, she ran to the gorge to hide, and later became a nun, and so the gorge was names Sa Maria.
Well, steps led to sandy paths through pine trees, and finally to rocks and cobbles, before we reached the sea. A short ferry ride then a bus back to our rooms in Hania, about 8 o'clock.
I was so thrilled that I had actually achieved the walk ( walk??? ), but knew there was no way I would walk it backwards as some folk were doing the next day, although John would..... that man is so much fitter than me. Our guide told us on the way back that it would take most people 3 days to recover. The first day we would wonder what the hell happened. I did. ( John didnt). The 2nd day, would be better because we would know what the hell had happened and the 3rd would feel much better. She was bang on. I was in serious pain. ( John wasnt). Would I do it again? Dunno, not sure if the pain is worth it. My husband tells me its "good pain". He is so bizarre at times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

SDC10170SDC10170
SDC10170

It beomes more gorge like
SDC10171SDC10171
SDC10171

It wasnt as hot as we thought it would be thankfully. Plenty of shade
A Kri-kri goatA Kri-kri goat
A Kri-kri goat

Indiginous goat to this area of Crete.
SDC10183SDC10183
SDC10183

He just happened to be taking his mules through the gorge - I think they pick up anyone who might be stuggling


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb