Aghios Nikolaus Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Elounta
August 31st 2010
Published: August 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Some would say it would be a mistake to re-visit somewhere you fell in love with nearly 30 years ago..... and this time I would tend to agree. We drove down the mountains to the east coast town of Aghios Nikolaus. What was back then a quaint harbour town, is now built up, very touristy and in my opinion, spoiled. Ok, some of the hotels are still there, even some of the same faces.... but for me, it lacks the something special that I thought I found 28 years ago when the travel bug took up what has been permanent residence with me.
So, after familiarising ourselves with the narrow streets and restaurants, we took our trusty little car Georgio to the next village of Elounda, 9 km around the corner. Now there it was much nicer... laid back, pretty and gentle ( a bit like John would like me to be - only I aint).
I pursuaded John to go on a boat trip to the nearby island of Spinalonga, formerly a Venetian fortress, later a leper colony, the last leper on the island died in the 1950's sometime. We wandered through the broken down streets and houses, poked our noses into a church and walked right around the edge of the island, before climbing way up high to the ramparts at the top. It was pretty hot and dusty, so I took a swim when we had clambered down ( felt like a kri kri goat!), in the clear turquoise sea while John took one of his numerous snoozes ( that man can sleep anywhere, anytime - I envy him ). After arriving back on the mainland, a wander up the street ended up in a cute little bar where beer and cold chocolate milkshake needed sampling.
Back in Aghios Nik, theres not much else to say, except to mention our lodgings, Mary's Pension, is adequate and clean. Mary welcomed us with drinks up on her balony, and on our 2nd day, left a plate of stuffed vineleaves in our room. Very kind and thoughful. We will put whats left of them in the fridge to take for our lunch tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Dora the DonkeyDora the Donkey
Dora the Donkey

Poor Dora is 30 years old - they only live to be around that age, but she is a pet, belonging to the Olive oil farm. She spends her days pulling the oil press, sitting down on the job, and eating.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb