Greek Olympics


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Chania
August 25th 2010
Published: August 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived in Greece, we had no idea that we would be entering the Greek Olympics.

Anthem: Greek cover songs of American Top 40
Sponsor: Happily NOT sponsored by McDonalds. We have not seen one McDonalds during our entire trip!!
Opening Ceremony: A shot of ouzo.

Events:
The Discus Throw - How many coins can you throw away in a day. It is so expensive here! This event can be claimed an even tie between Jolene and Diana. Both have consumed many beverages, bought too many souvenirs for our bags, and had many fine meals.

The Marathon - How many hours is it actually possible to stay awake in the day without falling asleep while sitting up and drinking a coffee. I think dizziness after 2 hours of sleep in 2 days quantifies almost being pulled out of the race for safety to one's life.

The Relay - In one day it involved running down a narrow car-filled highway, being picked up by our crazy hotel driver who slept in and forgot to get us, the roughest ferry ride in which barf bags were being handed out by the dozen, and a long bus ride on a winding road. This one was almost unsuccessful as we almost missed the car/ferry connection! Luckily no disqualification, although points were deducted for Diana's passport being left in Mykonos....Later to be courriered to Crete by our crazy hotel owner Marietta. (- as it turned out, we managed to get the last ferry out of Mykonos to Santorini before all ferries were cancelled due to bad weather).

The Steeple Chase - The never ending obstacle course of finding a decent bathroom that actually has a toilet seat, searching out a dinner place that lives up to our high quality tastes, scouring for internet cafes and finding the perfect morning coffee.

Hurdles - Managing to make our way through the Greek cobble-stone streets while wearing heels and not falling down. Diana is a clear winner at this one....3 inch heels and not even a stumble after too much wine. Jolene on the other hand manages to trip every few steps when wearing a certain pair of flat sandles. Clearly cobblestones are not her specialty.

Closing Ceremony: One last gyro. Followed by a shot of ouzo.

**Special Note:
- Jolene and Diana were the ONLY female-female team to be entered in the Santorini events....everyone else was male-female couples. We were almost disqualified for being such a novelle sight in the town of Oia.

***Injuries Sustained (luckily only requiring local medical attention of the other athletes):
- Diana falling down a steep set of stairs on the cliffs of Santorini.
- Jolene being cut by thorns while watching a sunset in Oia, Santorini.
- Diana developing a severe reaction to the local mosquitos....resulted in welts the size of a discus!! (Another remedy to warding off the men).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb