Friday, August 28, Pow Wow


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Veria
September 6th 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The ParkThe ParkThe Park

This is a view from the festival grounds. Over in the distance is our food stand.


We find out that although labeled as a pow wow, this event is not what we consider a pow wow. So, I’ll call it a “cultural festival.”

There are five vendors: Lee and I (Sacred Grounds Trading Post), Ethnic Arts, Tdom Bah, George and wife from Athens and Merrick and Agnesta from Poland. We all have diverse items for sale. Johnny also has his cds for sale.

The heat is relentless. Hot and humid, humid and hot. I know the guys are uncomfortable in their regalia. The crowd is like the tide -- ebbing and flowing. Not too many people show up during the day -- it is a work day and no one seems to venture out until the sun sets. We drum and sing, Johnny plays his guitar and tries to find songs is his repertoire that the Greek audience can identify with. We dance -- exhibition, intertribal, round dances. Tdom Bah plays his flutes.

This schedule is continued throughout the day. Sunset bring welcome relief. More shade and a slight breeze. We have free tickets to eat at the park’s food stand. We became addicted to frappes made with Nescafe frappe coffee blend.
Alexander the Great BirthplaceAlexander the Great BirthplaceAlexander the Great Birthplace

Looking out from the park, we can see the mountains where Alexander the Great was born (behind).
We’ll be looking for this at the grocery stores at home. Sandwiches are served on long buns with French fries placed right smack on top of the sandwich. Very efficient. No paper plates. Napkin if you’re lucky. Very economical. Less waste. Good news for us: their beverages are kept colder than in Germany. We are grateful.

On the hunt for a suitable restroom for a wheelchair, we became satisfied customers of a lovely outdoor restaurant across the street. Sophia was a dear and accompanied us to interpret our needs in Greek. I have since found that if I just wheel Mariah by an employee and point and say “toilet,” and if we’re lucky a quasi-suitable place is found.

The food was very good and it seemed cooler across the street. It was a welcomed break.

Another day done. It’s a wrap! We all go back to the house. Tdom Bah stayed to watch all the equipment, etc. Lee changed Mariah’s dressing, and Lee, Jackie and I head back to the park. Wilson, Johnny and David (with deer-in-the-headlights looks) refuse to give up their couches at the house and end up talking with Demetri and Sophia into the
VendingVendingVending

Our vending spaces. Luckily it was covered as the rain came Sunday.
wee hours of the morning.

Tomorrow is another day.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Friday NightFriday Night
Friday Night

Around the drum.
Getting ReadyGetting Ready
Getting Ready

The guys are either getting ready or giving it up for the heat of the afternoon.
JohnnyJohnny
Johnny

Johnny does his best to get the crow on their feet.
JackieJackie
Jackie

Jackie doing a jingle dress exhibition.
Nice GestureNice Gesture
Nice Gesture

Jackie brings a young boy into the circle during an intertribal.
LeeLee
Lee

A nice Greek man took some fabulous closeups of us.
JohnnyJohnny
Johnny

Always styling in his shades.
DavidDavid
David

The most photographed. His outfits are pretty awesome.
WilsonWilson
Wilson

Leading out one of many songs that day.
MariahMariah
Mariah

She looks so cool and comfortable, but I know better! She was hot too!


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb