Thessaloniki and flight to budapest


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We attempted to get some sleep on the train but it was nearly impossible. We arrived in thessaloniki around 2am with the intention of sleeping in the train station. Turns out that the station was closing and they booted us out onto the street. We didnt have much of a plan so we started wandering down the street from the station looking for a cheap hotel to stay at. As we were walking we ran into a random girl who seemed to be in the same situation. She was from New York and had just left the local hostel due to almost naked old dudes and creepy guys hitting on her. She decided to join us to search for a place to sleep. First place we tried was too expensive so I found the cheapest place listed in my lonely planet guide and we headed that way. We found the place and it was probably the biggest dump ive ever encountered. The price was 25 euro a night for a room with two beds. The room was actually pretty scary somewhat like a dingy hotel in a horror film. The ceilings were water damaged in various spots, the curtains were cut and ripped, the sheets were stained with various unknown materials, and people had carved stuff into furniture throughout the room. We crashed out getting a decent nights sleep and woke early to shower and head off. We wandered thessaloniki for the day basically just people watching and getting a feel for the city. We then took a bus to the airport to catch our flight at 6:15pm. While waiting in the departure area after passing security, the check-in guy came up and asked which of us was jackson as we needed to come with him, there was a security issue with one of our bags. The issue ended up being with my bag, apparently my laptop was old enough to appear to be a bomb in the x-ray machine. I had to prove to them that it was really a laptop by powering it up and then they let me go free. We made it to the boarding area and shortly after found out that our flight was delayed three and a half hours. As consolation they let us drink a free soda from the bar, woo hoo. We decided we had a better way to pass the time so we bought a bottle of ouzo liquor and polished it off using the measuring cap from josh's cough syrup. Aaron decided to flirt with a few girls after we were a bit drunk, apparently they were 16. We finally managed to make it on the plane and Where Josh attempted to hit on the flight attendant saying she should sit by him, she told him that she would rather sit on her knees in broken english not making much sense but shutting him down regardless. The flight went pretty quick as well all passed out shortly after and then arrived in budapest around 11. My first thoughts on Budapest were that it was very open and big compared to other european cities I had visited and seemed extremely beautiful. We were all exhausted so we passed out shortly after arriving.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb