First day in budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
June 13th 2007
Published: June 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke around noon after a much needed night of sleep. The hostel was probably one of the best ive stayed in so far. Personal atmosphere yet quite clean and extremely friendly plus good looking girl staff. We decided to head off to castle hill to check out a few sites and grab a bite to eat along the way. First place we came across was a funny looking place called samurai burger which was supposedly good and cheap according to a fellow hostel mate. The burgers were actually huge and delicious plus they included onion rings and a beer for like 4 or 5 euros, pretty sweet deal. After satisfying our appetites we headed to the top of castle hill to see fisherman's bastion and the palace. The views were amazing, similar to prague but far less tourism and a much more open feel. We walked around the city a bit more after this and then made a quick pit stop at the hostel to grab our swim trunks. Next we took the metro the northern part of the city to check out one of the cool thermal baths that are found throughout the city. The place was sweet, beautiful architecture, tons of baths of various temperatures and heaps of old dudes wearing speedos. There were even places in the hotter baths were you could play a bit of chess and get back or neck massages from the various water spouts. The place included a few nice little saunas which were actually incredibly hot (could last maybe 10 mins max). After leaving the sauna they even had a freezing cold pool and a spout which constantly produced ice to cool down. It was an extremely relaxing experience and provided some much needed R & R after all the travelling and partying we had been doing so far. After the baths we headed home and found a nice little food place with some of the best goulash ive tasted in my life. After our meal I had a bit of a nap and we made our way to the local supermarket to pick up some beers. Budapest besides being unbelievably beautiful is also super cheap. Our beers ranged from about 50 cents to 1 euro for delicious German and czech beers of which they had a huge variety. We hung around the hostel and drank quite a few with some of the people at the hostel including a group of 6 from dundee, 3 girls and 3 guys. Played some drinking games and had a sweet time just chatting it up with people from various parts of the world. Later we decided to head out to one of the clubs the hostel workers recommended and hopped on the metro. Turns out the club was actually on an island that you walked to from the center of a huge bridge in the northern part of budapest. Such a sweet place, the club was outside in a cool little forested area. Everyone had a blast drinking and dancing outside on a warm summer night with perfect weather. At sometime around 3 or 4 am we left the club and headed back along the bridge to walk our way home as the metro was closed at this time. It was josh, aaron, and I plus the three scottish girls at this point and someone suggested we go swimming in the river seperating the Cities of Buda and Pest (also what the island is located on). We all stripped down and went for a late night swim (second time skinnydipping now on this trip). After we managed to wander our way back to the hostel getting a sweet view of the city and arriving just as the sun was starting to come up to our hostel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb