Greece 26 Nafpaktos/the connection between a bicycle lock combination . a silver coin and a magnet all bought at different times and in different places


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece » Nafpaktos
May 19th 2017
Published: May 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Nafpaktos – what is the link between a bicycle combination lock A silver coin and a fridge magnet bought in three different countries years apart .

The quest for today concerns the link between three strange things that are random items and at the time of purchase had nothing in common and bought years apart and in three different countries .. They have a connection but if you are like me you will wonder what they are.


They are all items that Glenn has bought and will lead you to the solution Nafpaktos . . In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s Glenn was at grammar school. He rode his bike to school as kids did then . He locked it with a combination lock which had a security code to unlock it. On the event of his 25th wedding anniversary he travelled to Venice with his first wife. Whilst there he decided to buy himself something silver . He purchased a Venetian silver coin of Doge Alvise Mocenigo. The third item was bought in Spain at Consuegra a few years ago , This is a place famous for its windmills on a lofty hillside . It was a fridge magnet depicting Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. Remember he was famous at tilting at windmills . Ok I am being a bit obtuse here . Do you know your battles? In 1571 at Nafpaktos Bay then known as Lepanto the combined fleets of Venice and Spain defeated the Ottoman Turkish fleet and stopped the western advance of the Ottomans. As an aside the Spanish fleet was commandered by the bastard brother of the King of Spain Don John of Austria more famously known as the world famous lover Don Juan or Don Giovanni from the opera of the same name. The combination to the lock was the number 1571, the silver coin was minted for the Doge who sent the fleet to Lepanto and finally the fridge magnet of Don Quixote the fictional character was created by Cervantes ( called the Spanish Shakespeare) could not earn enough money through writing and poetry so joined the army and fought at the battle of Lepanto where he was wounded three times in his left arm.



So where in the world is Suzy - Nafpaktos. She is parked in the Spring sunshine on a street overlooking the sea. . We are in the largest settlement in the area and it is a lively place . Well it is Saturday and folks are out socialising and shopping. It is a resort that straddles a plane tree shaded seafront with a Venetian wall and castle above the town. We found the spot where Suzy is after a bit of negotiating narrow streets packed with cars . One way up and then we had to re-negotiate it back to the spot you find us in now.

It is a bit of a hike back to the town. Glenns chest is no better and we are trying to search out a chemist where the pharmacist speaks English and can give him something to make him better. We need a magic cure as he still coughs and is quite poorly. We will not be walking to the castle today. His chest wont take it. On another day perhaps we would . Up on the hillside we can see the campanile built by the Venetians when they lived here . The streets are full of Venetian houses with fine balconies . The harbour is like a crab with its claws protecting the town in a vice like grip. The ramparts were closed something we have found with regular monotony and blame it on austerity measures . We could however walk through the sea gate to the beach. The western gate as it is known shelters the Park Cervantes . A statue of the man is at one end of a rather dull flowerless space.

We then moved to the for a shot of fresh orange where we are bothered by a young beggar. Yes we feel sorry for them but there are so many that once you give to one they descend upon you like mosquitoes and wont let go.

We found the chemist. The pharmacist spoke no English nor did the assistant . We gestured chest. We rubbed Glenns chest . He coughed . We tried words like chest infection and bronchitis but no reaction. Luckily a young lady being served got her phone out . She rang a friend and a three way conversation ensued about Glenns predicament. The one word that hit the mark was phlegm. Not a pretty word but accurate and the chemist smiled, went to her shelf and brought out a bottle of vile tasting medicine . Take one spoon three times a day said the young lady with the phone. Would that have happened back home I think not. Another example of Greek hospitality and helpfulness . Would we have been able to buy the medicine at home ? No it is not marketed in the UK.


Once we had bought the medicine we headed off for further inspection of the park . On the walls were plaques commemorating the battle . The Austrian embassy had placed on commemorating John of Austria. There was one thanking the naval men of Croatia who fought in the battle . The Italian embassy had placed something to Venice . One thing was noticeable – the graffiti on each and every one of them. It was sad to see them defiled in such a way.

We walked back to Suzy along the beach. We sat on a bench watching young things swimming in the sea. We ate our lunch in the sunshine. Nafpaktos was a pleasant place to stay a while.

Was it fate that made him buy these three items and finally go to the place that connects them all – no it was Suzy the motorhome

Advertisement



19th May 2017
Navpaktos harbour

love it
Nothing like a bit of determination and nothing like waterfront views. I bags the bedroom up top of the tower!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb