Pireaus 3


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Piraeus
December 4th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thursday continued

We decided to hang out in the lounges, rather than the cabin, and went and had some coffee and some chocolate croissants.

After a particularly long announcement, Pat went to reception and they infomed her that, it was now confirmed that the ship would sail today at 2100 hours. At least we had a better idea of what was going on.

A short while later. I went down and asked what was the situation regarding the cabin and going ashore.

The cabin seems to be ours until Crete and we can go ashore as long as we show our tickets at ship security.

We decided to go for a walk, see what was going on with the blockade and do some general exploring,

We left the ship about eleven forty five, nobody checked us off the ship and headed for the passenger terminal that we were at yesterday. with the Starbucks.

There was no sign of the fishing boats and the port did seem a little emptier. We noted that the security presence at the main port building had reduced as well.

Today was ship spotting day and I had the camera and was taking lots of pictures. One ship, the Vitsentzos Kornaros, we think was the ex Pride of Winchester.

There was another one next to it as well, that you can certainly still see the P&O logo welded on the side of the hull, under the newer paintwork.

Upon investigation we have found out the first was the Pride of Winchester, the second was the Spirit of Free Enterprise, under Townsend Thoresen and then Pride of Kent, under P&O. These are all ex Dover to Calais ferries. Old memories for me.

The terminal was open, but sadly the Starbucks was all closed up.

So we walked back past the Knossos Palace and continued on around the port. It is a big place and there are ships everywhere.

At another of the newer terminals Pat spotted the green symbol of Starbucks. Not one but two, in the port. This one was open, so we availed ourselves of some coffee.

The town of Piraeus is just the other side of the port fence, but we didn't feel like dipping our toes into that particular maelstrom. The port was an oasis of calm, compared to the car horns beeping, ambulance sirens and hordes of people, that seemed to be growling at us through the fence.

So we just pottered along, looking at the ships. You get the occassional pedlar trying to sell you a rolex or an umbrella, and the taxis drivers want to take you somewhere, but we either ignored or shooed them away.

At another terminal we stopped for a small bite to eat, a croissant and a cheese pie. The weather which had been cloudy, slightly windy, but warm up to this time, decided to become overcast and looking like rain.

We didn't have any coats or jackets with us, so we decided to head slowly back.

We successfully returned on board about two o'clock and headed for the cabin to chill out for a while.

A quiet afternoon, including a little nap. We went down the bar just after six and had a Gin and Tonic and Diet Coke, Deja Vu.

Hopefully, this time we will sail, it all looks good so far at 2100 hours. Tomorrow Crete.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.432s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb