Corinth


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 5th 2006
Published: June 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Waiting for the BusWaiting for the BusWaiting for the Bus

We got picked up from the hotel and had to wait an hour for the bus
This morning, Aisha, Jessica, Jeanna, and I (Melissa) took a trip to Corinth, about an hour bus ride Southwest out of Athens. Our first stop was the Corinth Canal which connects the Aegean Sea with the Ionian Sea. The actual town of Corinth is where St Paul lived and preached around 51 AD. The remains of the city include the Agora (market place) and Apollo's Temple created around 6th Century BC. In fact it is thought the original temple was actually a Temple for Posideon but was later change to Apollo (As there is another area for Apollo worship nearby). Corinth was a huge port during ancient time also has a huge wall (1 mile long) that is up on the hill for times of invasion. Also know for its 1000 whores, in fact a lot of the body parts that were crafted ceremic for thankfulness for good health after bad health were related to sexual parts (a fact of the town). The phrase Corinther had some intentions similiar to someone who is a sinner in Vegas.

Earthquakes have destroyed much of the town, colors have faded out of the statutes that have been around since Antiquity. Public bathrooms were
Aegean SeaAegean SeaAegean Sea

A quick stop for a view of the Aegean Sea Port
also part of the ancient town including a stream in front of the toliet to wash yourself afterwards as there was no toliet paper yet.

We were not allowed to Pose with pictures because a year ago a group of boy Austrialian tourists at a Crete Museum were idiotic and pulled their pants down to compare themselves to a statue for a picture so all posing of pictures has been stoped.

Well, Aditi is arriving shortly and we are going to take a few walks around town and grab a snack. Hope your having a great day.

Melissa



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Corinth CanalCorinth Canal
Corinth Canal

Canal between Aegean Sea and the Ionian Sea
Apollo TempleApollo Temple
Apollo Temple

Apollo's Temple in Corinth


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb