Update from 4 Go Missing in the Mediterranean!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

the harbour we arrived in the harbour we arrived in the harbour we arrived in

All is calm until a ship has to be loaded then "running of the bulls meets a riot" starts
Hello there folks, the circus has arrived in Istanbul, to the haunting sound of the call to prayer for the moslem faith, as it is Ramadan a particularly important call they say, and as I sit here and write this streams head for the wide range of mosques, ladies one side men the other - whilst the christians continue on with normal day.... Maybe Turkey is the recipe for getting this religious differences drama sorted!! Having been round since 10000 BC they've got through a few squabbles apparently!!
A modern / historic mix of experiences to date here and very impressive in scope and type of city we have encountered, poor old athens reminds of a chap in a 50s suit doing best to still look sharp!

The Athens ruins are in better shape than some of the dusty and concrete slab structures in the CBD. Still some great memories, good tube system and local tavernas in districts that are all that we hoped for food and experience wise. Ben Julia and Tony had a crack at the Acropolis and despite late 30s heat, rivers of tourists it was well worth it, its crazy sitting in cafe having coffee and ice cream with Hadrians arch across the road and zeus's old haunt next to it- puts the story in history, thats for sure!!

We had come to Greece on the worlds seeming longest ferry ride from Santorini island ( 3pm to 12.40am, via 4 other islands) to pick up more people than you would think may fit comfortably and as it turned out didnt!! Santorini is to Greece what Rotorua is to NZ for filleting tourists of their hard earned dosh.Whilst impressive in geography and enjoying the decision to swim with volcanoes for the kids and I on a boat charter- a few days was perfect and the height of the season here would be madness as up to 13 cruise ships can be stacked up in the harbour - thoughtfully now moved to anchoring spots away from where their sister cruise ship parked on the rocks and sank recently!! The kids and I walked down to the old harbour in hot part of the day and watched wheezing donkeys labour up past us on near vertical path with extra large yanks and germans re enacting the good the bad and the ugly where there were no good!! Now we know why donkeys have long faces, not a good gig. Thought one of them looked like a cuzzie of Kerre and CAs first race horse "She's in Parties" so we took a portrait. kids did very well that day including diving off charter boat and swimming 200m to natural hot pools, fantastic.

Any way must have another kebab, delish and only a dollar fifty, thank god we are out of euro zone.Nectarines and other summer fruit also lovely and fresh tasting whilst being great value.

all well with us and enjoying the similarities and difference of life in the mediterranean our Turkey tour starts tomorrow which will be great - death by Grand bazzar next to Blue mosque earlier today looking at all the stuff we saw being made in China last year which is somehow quite sad actually.

Cheers the Woodhams.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb