Why Crete and Kiwis are connected!!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion
September 11th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sudha BaySudha BaySudha Bay

The woodys at Sudha Bay
Hey there folks thanks so much for the feedback from all - the prayers are working barb and mum cheers Julia loved the Evie update thanks Moods team.
A few milestones here we took a road trip a few hundred kms up the island to pay our respects to the kiwis who will never leave Crete, they are in a stunning locale in an area called Sudha Bay, a natural and strategically important harbour that has been in continuous use for over 3000 years by one tribe or another. despite us cruising in a skoda ( much to Bens horror) and the fact that all two lane roads instantly become 4 we adapted to the greek driving style and were successful the kids did really well, we stopped for a swim in the lovely warm and clear beaches half way which saved the day.

Deb and I had to study poets many years ago at school and one said"if I should die think only this of me there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever england" well we can say the same. In a beautifully manicured velvet lawn setting with vivid red late summer roses and the white grey of the headstones we met some of our crete / kiwis, lovely and close to thhe cobalt blue of the bay so they can collect a bit of kai moana it was stunning and moving. Gallipoli gets a lot of publicity but for me this island its friendly people and kiwi like values with the very tough terrain similar in many ways to parts of south island is a must experience as a Kiwi, if possible.

ironically we stopped at a informal kiwi like beach on the edge of the bay on the way back and swam as submarines and warships of the NATO fleet sailed into and out of the harbour - the same ones the kiwis patiently waited to be evacuated from 66 years ago, mostly in vain. The scale of their courage with such few resources is stunning when witnessing this place. Kia Kaha indeed.

Julia's birthday was another moving expperience as she missed all her friends and extended family but thanks for all the messages lovely card S & S, choice.
We got a real greek choccy cake made and had by pool. Found the only toy warehouse in crete in a marvellous display of navigation by Deb and Greek driving by Tony as Healikon is not a place any one should ever have to drive in, all roads are under re construction and have been since the romans were here!!

As our time winds up here we have booked passage for santorini island then back to Athens and off to Turkey where Ben will conclude his soccer tee shirt quest..........much love to all Ya Muss (cheers in Greek.. we think!!) the woodhams.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



13th September 2008

Love the blog - thanks for update of the adventure. Still waiting for the beach photos we discussed. Important news I know Woody will be waiting for - All Blacks 28 - Australia 24. Tri Nations and Bledisloe are ours. (And I'm not going to mention Robbie Deans - well maybe just that... nah, we won, they can have him)
16th September 2008

All Blacks
To the president of the Henry supporters club, congrats on snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. It's all about soccer here, the beautiful game. Watching Athens play InterMilan tonight. Go Black. Cheers the Woodies

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb