Exploring The Black Forest


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 25th 2015
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.1299, 8.23131

Today's destination was Triberg, Germany. It offers what one associates with the Black Forest. It has magnificent scenery, deep valleys, crystal clear water, and fresh air. Germany's highest waterfalls can be found in Triberg.

We started our journey with a 3 hour train ride. We had to make one train switch but managed that easily. The time went rather quickly because there was so much to look at. The scenery was indeed beautiful as we began to see the mountains, the green of the pine trees and the beautiful countryside.

Upon our arrival it was time for a latte break. The guy who waited on us was originally from Pennsylvania but moved to London 18 years ago. He is here visiting his in-laws and was helping out in their café. Of course a conversation began since we shared a commonality, being from the U.S. The café we were at served Black Forest cake using the recipe of the creator of that dessert. All kinds of tortes, cakes, and sweet treats were served there.

Our touring of this city took us past a historic steam locomotive. Then on to the Gutach falls with water falling 160 meters into 7 cascades of the valley. We stopped in the Baroque Pilgrimag Church, "Maria in der Tanne" which is home to one of the most important baroque altars in South-west Germany. It was truly magnificent. Our walk also took us to Lake “Bergsee.” The views were great!

Of course along the walking route there are numerous cafes, restaurants and shops. These shops specialized in wood carvings, Christmas items, beer steins and cuckoo clocks. Everything was so beautiful and very hard to resist.

Dinner time was approaching so we chose a restaurant serving bratwurste. One dish with gravy and german potato salad, one dish with fries. They were both very tasty but especially accompanied by an ice cold Frustenberg beer. After dinner before heading back to the train station for our ride to the hotel we stopped for a latte and some of that Black Forest cake. We couldn't leave without trying some. It was really delicious with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, and sweet cherries, which by the way come from Traverse City! What a treat!

On the return train trip we sat opposite a couple from southern Spain, Hosea and Ortheo. We had met them earlier today when we got off the train. She is working at a University in Munich while he is working in Spain. They are together to sightsee for the holiday, which today is in Germany. Talking with them about travel experiences helped pass the time more quickly and made the journey enjoyable.

Today we left in the dark of the morning and returned in the dark of the night. It's been another great day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb