The Road to the Black Forest


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 10th 2016
Published: June 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning was a long lay in, up at 7:30. Joy.

Luxembourg was fantastic and Vianden was a jewel. Being just a few miles from the Germany meant that 2 minutes after the cheapest petrol we have seen in months, we crossed the border.

Due to the high temperature we decided to ride in our biker jeans. That proved to be a good call as the temperature soon reached 26c. Everyone thinks that warm and sunny is biking weather, it isn't as it makes wearing the gear that keeps your skin on if anything goes wrong very uncomfortable. Fortunately clothing has come on over recent years and kevlar, once the reserve of stab jackets and bullet proof vests in now available as a liner in biker jeans.

The roads from Vianden were everything we hoped for. Quiet, beautiful and smooth with lots of sweeping bends. The day carried on in a similar vain, punctuated with some faster, but equally pleasant motorways. As the days ride was just under 200 miles we could take our time and enjoy it. The real highlight was the B500 from Baden - Baden. OK we took a wrong turn at the start but the recalculated route revealed a fantastic 1000m climb and some staggering vistas. There was even a lay-by for the ever so important Kodak moment.

Unfortunately roadworks added a detour and about 30 km for the last stint to the hotel but it was the nicest detour I have ever had to suffer.

The hotel is typical of the region (not that I have stayed in any others) with friendly staff and good facilities. Called a Nature and Sport hotel the focus is on outdoor activities and the local wildlife. It seems most of the guests are walkers and sitting outside as I write this, there have been a steady stream of motorcycles and cyclists testing their stamina and skill agains the fantastic roads and hills.



Have a good 'un


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb