a second brush with the law and a lot of cereal bars


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 14th 2015
Published: August 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I thought today might be too dull to write about: drive from Prague to a field in germany for a festival. Park up, eat, watch music, sleep. Turns out I was wrong, again.
The first bit went as expected, check out of the hotel, find Jason ( strangely where we left him) start Jason ( so far so good) and head out of Prague. A small drama with a closed road and a sat nav in a mood meant a slight change in route but all was well and we were on our way. Down a pretty nice road to be fair. Into Germany and all was well if stupidly hot making one of the shortest journeys feel the longest. We got near to the festival and headed for our usual shopping precinct for pre festival supplies and the worlds supply of corny mit milch (the actual best cereal bar the world has ever seen, only available in Germany). We were following a black car mere minutes from the air conditioned paradise of the Posna market when a sign flashed up in the back of the black car ' police. Follow.' Great......just great.......convinced, as always that we'd done something terrible ( ant killing coming back to haunt me) my heart raced and I got even hotter. We pulled over and the smiling assassin got out. He was very friendly and fortunately spoke better English than me and, after a look in the back which at that point resembled a jumble sale at the end of the day, he realised we were not smuggling anything except a lot of dirty clothes and a teddy called Steve. Apparently it was a ' standard police check' so check he did, documents, licences, names, addresses but seemed satisfied, told us to have a nice day and off we toddled. I'm pretty sure they don't see many English plates in these parts hence the stop. ( or he was bored. Or he saw my heat induced anguish and thought it would be a laugh to stop us?) Either way, heart rates back to normal, we headed off to the supermarket, bought our body weight in cereal bars and water and headed for the field. This festival is great, good music, crazy Germans and hand brot, the best food ever. We set up camp, had a rest and went to get wristbanded up. We wandered through the crazy that is the tent enclosure ( festival Germans are insane, totally insane) and queued to get into the music arena. At this point one of my worst nightmares came true. The crowd thickened, pushed a bit and then what I can only assume is Germany's favourite song came on and all the people around us started singing. Loudly. In German. I have never felt more English!!! Once in we passed a pleasant couple of hours putting the world to rights, listening to the Kooks and watching the distant lightening. Then the lightening got closer. And closer. Then the rain came. So we beat a hasty retreat and made our way back the half mile or so to the van. I am now in what I can only assume is the apocalypse. There is lightening in all directions, rumbling thunder, and, more worryingly, what sounds like an air raid siren in the distance. Couple this with the wild winds all over and I think we're in for an exciting night ( and not just provided by the random German who just went for a wee about four foot in front of me!!!!) Roll on tomorrow ?


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb