5th Stop - Lübeck


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 2nd 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Paris - Brussels - Hamburg - Lübeck (Train)


2 August

After seeing the soaring temperatures down south (Greece is having bushfires, Italy is nearly 40°, and forget about Spain) we decide to stay cool by increasing our latitude and heading to the north of Germany. After staying up late chatting to our fellow cabin inmates we arrive in chilly Hamburg before catching a connecting train which takes us further north to Lübeck. Hello Baltic Sea and comfortable temperatures below 30°.

Lübeck is a medieval town in the north of Germany that was spared from much bombing in WWII. It is therefore a true representation of Germany from the 12th century onwards, with it’s red stone churches, Rathaus and fortified walls and gates typical of the architecture of the day. The old town is surrounded by these walls and is actually on an island within the Trave River, forming a natural moat. All of these things made it the perfect location for it to be the capital of the Baltic Sea during the 12th to 16th century, and a picturesque escape for us from the big cities.

We spent our time in this town strolling around the cobblestone alleys, popping into buildings and churches, checking out a marionette theatre production (see we’re not just all beer and food), and taking in the local cuisine and beverages (aka beer and food).

L


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb