6th Stop - Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 3rd 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lübeck - Hamburg - Berlin (Train)


3 August

Berlin currently has the newest and most modern hauptbahnhof (main train station) in the world. Finished in time for the world cup crowd, it is built behind the equally impressive Reichstag (the German parliament) in the once vacant land that was the divide between East and West. We loved Berlin when we were here in 2001. There was much construction being undertaken 5 years ago and progress was evident. Although the German’s are also very considered in their planning and will deliberate a long time on all aspects of any project to ensure it is the best use of the space.

The former “death strips” between the walls, which separated East and West Berlin, has given a united Berlin something unique to any modern city: a large area of vacant land. We learnt of the development for green belt project through the urban landscape and plans to preserve the previously disregarded historical elements of the wall that still remain today.

We could not resist returning to the Pergamon Museum to see its recreated ancient Greek temple and Babalonian gate of Ishtar. We also saw the highlights of Germany’s vast Egyptian artefacts collection. This included the famous bust of Nefertiti, temporarily housed in the Altes Museum until the Permanent exhibition of the entire catalogue is opened in the Neues Museum being constructed nearby and due for completion in 2009.

The traditional German food is familiar to us here; the beer is also a little too familiar. We travel to the great eating establishments of Savigny Platz to enjoy both in ample quantities. In Berlin, we do not struggle with the language so much, nor are we as fluent as we should be after a year of study, but it is comfortable for us here. It is also a good place from which we plan our journey into the Czech Republic and Poland. The next leg is not covered by our trusty rail pass and with the efficient German rail company now housed in its impressive new station, our travel plans are in good hands.

T



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb