christmas markets round one


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
December 3rd 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cologne was added to our German itinerary for one very important reason… their Christmas markets. In about the month or so leading up to Christmas, almost every German town has at least one Christmas market, and Cologne and Nuremburg are the most famous. We decided we would have to go check them out ourselves. So Cologne doesn’t only have 1 or 2 markets around their lovely town… they have 7. We were only able to see 4 of them though, because 3 weren’t open yet. sad. We were just at the beginning of the market season.

Now I’ll take a minute to explain what these markets are like. They are outdoors and consist of little stalls that sell everything from touques to mulled wine… and of course many different kinds of German food. YUM!

Our first day there we just wandered around the stalls, tasting anything that looked good along the way. Bratwurst are everywhere and go along with pretty much anything. We also discovered a new kind of sausage (for us anyway) Currywurst! Essentially a brat with curry sauce. DOUBLE YUM! Haha

Day 2 was spend at the lindt chocolate museum. mmmmmmmm..... the whole place just smelled
lindt chocolate worldlindt chocolate worldlindt chocolate world

isn't that man the best chocolate maker ever????
of chocolate. It was wonderful. You may think that we had had enough after Belgium, but you would be mistaken. We are just getting started.

It is getting colder around here, but it makes it that much easier to deal with because everything is Christmas-y. We had to upgrade our footwear in Cologne because of the cold… the running shoes just weren’t cutting it anymore so we had to do a little shopping. Aww too bad hey? Haha but I sure do miss the days of flip-flops…

We didn’t have long in Cologne, though and we had to be moving on before long. No worries though, we will soon be back in Germany to find more markets. But before that, on our next stop we get to meet up with my brother again… in Amsterdam!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb