Dobeln to Dresden


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
September 5th 2022
Published: September 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast was in an enormous dining room at a table for twelve with two place settings at one end. Just off the dining room was a very elaborate sun room overlooking the garden below. All very ornate with carved wood. On the wall of the dining room were two portraits of a man and a woman, previous occupants of the house in a bygone era perhaps. Breakfast was typical German food of cheese and ham and a boiled egg each. No cereal or fruit today.



A quick trip to Aldi for lunch and then we were on our way. A mixture of wide open crop land and shaded forests. Very scenic and very hot. We saw the first vine yards of the trip today late on in the journey. More climbing today than on other days, lots of long slow climbs.



Our yoghurt and nut stop was sat in a bus stop! It was in a tiny hamlet and was a little stone built shelter, very clean inside with a bench and a notice board. The notice board was empty so obviously ther is not a lot happening in Zetta at the moment. It served its purpose and kept us out of the sun.



Our lunch stop was in another Lutheran Evangelist church yard. The only place we could find a bench. It wasn't particularly in the shade but was the best we could do. After this it was down, down, down and onto the banks of the River Elbe. The last 10 miles were along the 'Elberadweg' and into Dresden itself. A few miles before arriving at Dresden there were about six camels in the field at the side of the road. A little further on there was a circus tent so presumably the two went together. Our hotel seemed quite a way out when we arrived but after showers we walked into Dresden for food and it was perhaps 10 - 15 minutes along the Elbe and across the bridge.



In 2016 we cycled to Prague mainly along the Rive Elbe and we were blown away as we approached Dresden by the gold and green topped buildings catching the sunlight. It's such a beautiful city with amazing buildings. So that was the inspiration for this trip. We have two full days for sightseeing in Dresden now.



Our shortest day at 37 miles. 578 miles in total.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb