Sangerhausen to Dobeln.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
September 4th 2022
Published: September 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We have had a very poor internet connection for the last three days but tonight, fortunately, it's good again.



Friday.

Friday was a rest day in Sangerhausen and was a mixture of relaxing in the hotel and a walk into the centre of town. The evening meal was in the hotel restaurant again.



Saturday.



Breakfast was the same as yesterday, all laid out on our table , mainly cheese and ham but a boiled egg and bread rolls saved the day. We headed straight to Rewe to stock up on picnic goodies and then it was off. We were soon out of town and heading east all day. The two climbs of the day were in the first fifteen miles and were long steady climbs. Similar to Thursday we started off through woodlands but as the day went on seemed to be much more out in the open and straight into a strong easterly wind. The only plus of the wind is that it was cool and has it was very hot today it took the edge off it.



We came off the route slightly into a village to find a lunch spot. The centre of the village had a lovely area with lots of flowers and benches but there was no shade so we sat on a bench against one of the houses over looking the village square. It probably belonged to the occupants of the house but no one moved us on. It had a piece of wood missing from the seat part and felt like it might give way at any time. There was lots of houses nearby which were empty and in much need of repair. We decided to take a short cut back to our route and somehow got very confused and ended up going round in circles for a while.



Soon after our lunch stop we passed through 'Wünch'. Should have had lunch in Wünch!



The afternoon was mainly spent crossing large fields of crops, mainly maize, and in and out of villages and towns. As we reached the large town of Meuseberg our path was blocked by three fire engines. Fortunately they let us pass round the back of them. There seemed to be a fire on the allotments.



When we reached Markranstädt we soon found the hotel which is right in the centre of the town. There was no one on Reception but there was a telephone number stuck on the door and so Paul rang that and a lady she would come in a moment. About fifteen minutes later she appeared. At first she seemed to saying we didn't have a booking but I showed her the email on my phone and she went into another office and found it. She spoke very little English so everything took a long time to work out. Although the website clearly said the restaurant was open she said it wasn't. She said the only place to eat was the Chinese across the road. We showed and changed and went straight out in case we struggled to get food. The Chinese turned out to be Vietnamese and more of a take away really but you could eat in so we did. We had a chicken and vegetable dish with rice and it was delicious. We also bought a drink each to take back to the hotel and it cost €18 altogether. Wow, super cheap. We then walked down to Aldi to buy some food for Sunday in case we cant find a Bakery open. All Supermarkets are closed on Sunday in Germany. It was then back to the hotel.



Several times we heard the loud noise of a siren going off. No one else seemed to take any notice of it. I think it was to announce the fire brigade were needed.



The hotel is right across from a very impressive church which is the Laurentius Church It is not only a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, but is also open for concerts, e. g. the "Markreanstädt Music Summer".



Another hotel where the internet doesn't reach our room. Very annoying. It's only when you don't have

it you realise how much you use it to find restaurants, read menus, find places of interest etc.



54.4 miles today.



Sunday.

Another day heading east and very scenic today with lots of forests and quaint villages. Very warm again. We cycled through the Leipzig Lake District soon after leaving Markranstädt, not a patch on our Lake District but it seemed very popular with the locals. There were lots of walkers, cyclists and skaters. Always in the background was a huge Power Station. It some how didn't enhance the photos.



Yoghurt and nuts was on the church steps of a very impressive Evangelical church. There was a bench nearby but the steps were in the shade.

Lunch was in Erllm in a purpose made picnic spot with a bench and table a roof over the top, much needed as it was very sunny. It was a mixture of things bought in Aldi last night and baby bell cheese and boiled eggs pocketed at breakfast. We dont usually take things, except 'a yoghurt to go', where there are individual yoghurts, but we knew the chances of finding a Bakery open were minimal.



We passed quite close to Colditz Castle today, home of Colditz Concentration Camp. To see it would have been a detour of a few miles and another hill so we gave it a miss.



In comparison to other days the hills were at the end of the ride but fortunately mostly shaded by trees. We are now in Döbeln and in a very nice guest house. It's very olde- worde but it was obviously quite some place at one time.



Situated on both banks of the river Freiberger Mulde. Döbeln has the last remaining horse-drawn tram line in Germany, in the form of the Döbeln Tramway.



Miraculously we found an Italian that was open quite easily. They only served pizza and a selection of desserts but pizza was enough to fill a gap and keep us going until breakfast time. Considering it's Sunday we had eaten quite well.



A shorter day tomorrow and we arrive in Dresden.



53 miles today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb