Herzberg am Harz to Sangerhausen


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
September 2nd 2022
Published: September 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

The Rewe supermarket was right next door to the hotel so it was quick and easy to buy picnic goodies. The first part of our journey was very much through forests but then we were out into more open farmland.



In the first half of our journey there were lots of ups and downs with a couple of them being more serious than any so far on this trip. After one climb we were rewarded with a long downhill that suddenly ended abruptly with barriers blocking the road and we could see that there was no bridge across the river. Fortunately, the men pointed to the other side of the road and we could see a rough path. We had to wheel the bikes down a steep banking, across a very small stream and up the other banking. It wasn't easy but we really didn't want to cycle back up that hill and then have to work out another route. The only casualty was a wet foot.



Just after half way into our journey we passed through the large city of Nordhausen?? and stopped for lunch on a park bench. The second half of the route was a lot flatter but with long straight roads and a strong headwind so not as easy as it should have been. About ten miles away from Sangerhausen were big signs with crosses on to say the road was closed. We stopped a lady on a bike. She didn't speak English but between us we worked out there were roadworks but we could get past on a bike. Phew!



Arriving at the hotel I was a little worried as it didn't look particularly inviting but the owner was very welcoming and our room is lovely. We booked a table at the hotel restaurant as we didn't want to start walking into town to find something. The restaurant was full of Beatles, Rolling Stones and other music memorabilia and sold lots of different kinds of Guinness and Whiskey. Very atmospheric. The food was really good and was delivered by a blue tooth robot waitress. Very entertaining.



The only downside, to the hotel, is although there is wi-fi it doesn't quite seem to reach our room and we are wary of using data roaming and having big bills because of it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb