Day 2 Brussels to Rudesheim


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 26th 2019
Published: August 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

3 trains, a bus, a boat and a couple of short walks !

Back to Brussels Midi via Brussels Central (think Piccadilly to Oxford Rd) and then on to Koblenz via Lille and Cologne. Talk about a luxury train .... second class - loads of room, really comfy seats, free WiFi that actually worked and precision to the minute timing - equivalent to Virgin first class run by Germans!

We arrived Koblenz (confluence with the Moselle) and after narrowly avoiding a couple of dodgy characters in the bus station (too much beer by 12 noon?) we got the No. 1 bus to the KD river cruise berth. Lots of nice bars and restaurants around so being lunchtime we tucked into a lovely German tart (or was it pizza) with Italian salad. Then onto the ferry/cruise (?) but whatever it was, it was a fab 6 hours of spectacular rift valley scenery with vineyards and castles galore, (vines planted up the slope rather than across - geographers is this not strange?). Loads of river activity very skilfully navigated through gorges and tight bends. Lots of modern barges carrying Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) upriver to cities in central Germany for energy or chemical production.

Whatever carnage the Romans started on the Rhine, the Germans and French carried on for nearly 1000 years - never seen so many varied (and beautiful) castles in 50 km!! Overall, a wonderful part of the Rhine (Koblenz to Rudesheim) and a trip we would thoroughly recommend!

River trip finished in rudesheim - hotel only 5 mins walk from pier - so checked in then then food - Wild Boar sausage washed down with some local vino - long but thoroughly enjoyable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



28th August 2019

Food glorious food.
All sounds good. At least u eating well and tasting local beers and wine. Loving the photos xx

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb