Luxemburg and Boppard, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Thuringia
September 18th 1974
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

BrussellsBrussellsBrussells

Outskirts of Brussells, Belgium. Site of the 1958 World's Fair. Nell at the shrubs.
Day 6
Wednesday
Patricia Dorsey Murphy


18 Sept 74
Lux and Boppard Germany
Rainy and cool

We drove to American Memorial Cemetery in Lux- too pix. Patton buried there..winding drive to Boppard. Rhine cruise...nice. Saw 3 castles and Lirili Rock. Ate dinner in the hotel restaurant.. Rhine Lust. Listened to band in restaurant..played mostly American music..had a nice evening...room with great view of Rhine!


Dianne Dorsey Parker Gilbreath

Place: Boppard, Germany
Weather: cloudy

We left Luxemburg at 9:15 am and went around city again and it was beautiful. Stopped at frontier at Germany in a little village and had custom check and was so pretty.
Went into shop and Patty talked with lady read well. Bought wine and cheese. Real great. County is more beautiful than any seen so far. Grapes grown on sides of mountain. Went through mountains around Moselle River. Went down and touched river at frontier. Went on. (before Germany went to Patton’s grave and the USA monument and graves of soldiers fought in World War II. It was very sad. Walked down to a couple of graves. Julius Drumond & James Bishop from Atl. (I almost cried).

After crossing
GermanyGermanyGermany

Nell at gateway to the American Cemetery at Luxembourg. Here are buried thousands of American servicemen who died in Workld War II. General Geroge Patton is also buried here.
frontier, stopped in a very beautiful village. Had cheese bread and wine. Real good. The village was so pretty, I couldn’t believe it. Went on to Boppard. We went straight to boat and went on a cruise on Rhine River. Saw castles and the Lorelei Rock. Came back and stayed in the Rein Lust Hotel and it was great. It faced the Rhine River and had big windows (no screens) opening on river. A beautiful view. After dinner (very good) had a band (German) to play and the group had a good time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

American Cemetery at LuxembourgAmerican Cemetery at Luxembourg
American Cemetery at Luxembourg

Nell at the gravesite of General George Patton. He is placed at the front center of the cemetery.
CemeteryCemetery
Cemetery

American cemetery at Luxembourg. Row after row of American graves from all States. We saw several from the State of Georgia.
NellNell
Nell

Nell at bus stop in Konz. Sign says "Exit-Bus Stop". We were elated to visit this old German village.
GermanyGermany
Germany

Patty, Dianne, and Nell at entrance to wine garden beneath narrow house in village Kernkastel-Kues.
GermanyGermany
Germany

Dianne and Janice Lang beside St. Michael fountain in market pplace Kernkastel-Kues, Germany. Note living flowers, found in almost every windowbox.


23rd May 2009

Ausfahrt freihalten
means "keep driveway clear". Ausfahrt = literally: drive out Ausfahrt signs on roads mean exit.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb