Day 2


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Thuringia » Weimar
May 7th 2009
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Amber's Journal:
We managed to survive the flight and arrived safely in Frankfurt at 11:30 this morning. We were originally supposed to take a taxi to the downtown Budget office to avoid airport fees but they were kind enough to let us rent from the airport without the extra fees. Apparently they only allow certain car models to be taken into the Czech Republic so we were given a free "upgrade" as well. Our "upgrade" turned out to be this totally ugly granny mini-van. It seats seven and is way bigger than what anyone else here is driving. We laughed about it all day but we were grateful to have a car, especially one that is diesel and has a GPS system. I was glad I let Preston do all the driving. He handles the stress much better than I would and the drivers here are very fast and aggressive. We stopped at the Frankfurt Temple on our way out of town. It is beautiful and huge! I wish we would have had time to go inside. I always pictured most of Germany to be flat and rural with lots of farmland and open space. It turns out it is green and lush and heavily wooded with lots of rolling hills and dotted with beautiful quaint little towns. It is green as far as the eye can see. The woods in some areas were so thick I felt like I was in Seattle. I think it is one of the prettiest places I have been.
We stopped at the Buchenwald Concentration Camp and were able to walk around the grounds. It is always humbling and sobering to be reminded of what took place in places like that. It was in a beautiful setting surrounded on all sides by thick forests. No wonder even the German public weren't always aware of some of these camps existence.
We drove to the Freiberg Temple where we stayed the night in the patron housing.

Preston's Journal:
Study the language-actually study it-for a while (a month maybe) before going somewhere foreign! We can't hardly communicate in German, or recognize words, so it is very difficult. We did, however, order cheeseburgers and check into our room at the temple-not to mention driving through Germany without getting killed! We got our car from Budget and they helped us a lot. However, we did end up with a deisel mini-van that makes us laugh every time we look at it. The temple in Frankfurt is very pretty...oh, and a good GPS is worth its weight in gold! Stopping by Buchenwald Concentration Camp memorial was a very neat experience. Germany is so green; it's enjoyable just driving through the countryside. We saw maybe 10 castles and tons of neat, historic town-square churches. Being here is great, but the flight, not sleeping on the flight, and several hours of driving has exhausted me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Buchenwald GroundsBuchenwald Grounds
Buchenwald Grounds

This was the area where the prisoners barracks used to be.
German CountrysideGerman Countryside
German Countryside

It was green like this everywhere.
Yellow Fields in GermanyYellow Fields in Germany
Yellow Fields in Germany

Germany had these bright yellow fields EVERYWHERE and we found out later they are used to make oil.
LilacsLilacs
Lilacs

I love lilacs so I was so happy to see tons of them all over the place.


Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb