Schenger Treaty, new visa rules ... drats on politicians


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
January 23rd 2008
Published: January 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the way to DresdenOn the way to DresdenOn the way to Dresden

Looking across the Elbe to the beautiful countryside and villages
Well the easy days of an extended visa are over, gone, done away with by politicians. Gone are the days when all we had to do to get a 90 day extension was to ride the train to Dresden, or Vienna or Salzburg go into the train station, buy a cup of espresso and a nice pastry and get on the next train heading back to Prague and as the train entered the Czech Republic a new 90 day visa was stamped into our passports. It was nice, oh so nice while it lasted. All that changed with the Czech Republic became a full member of the European Union, the EU, and the Schenger Treaty became a the ‘law of the land.’ Obtaining an extended visa is a much more complicated and expensive process now. We did not have time to apply and receive the extended visa while in the US. It takes 120 days and we did not have 120 days from the date we knew we were returning to IBTS in Prague. That meant we needed to start the process the first week we were here in Prague. Here, in Europe, it takes two months. Since visas are given
The Czech/German Switzerland RegionThe Czech/German Switzerland RegionThe Czech/German Switzerland Region

We have had days of great hiking in this region.
at embassies and consulates of the country being visited, a person has to leave that country, travel to the embassy or consulate in another country, apply for the visa, return to whereever they are living and go back to that office 60 days later to have the visa, if approved, put into their passport. Naturally this is not done for free. The cost this week was 94 Euros. Currently the exchange rate is such that one Euro equals about $1.35. The dollar has really been taking a beating all around the world. Last April we received 22 Czech Krowns for one dollar whereas currently it is about sixteen Czech Krowns for one dollar. That is quite a drop percentage wise. Ten years ago it was forty Krowns for one dollar.

We four, Nancy, Bill, Roger and Janice rode the train to Dresden on Thursday. We had an appointment at the Czech Consulate at 9:00 a.m. Friday. Our new friend Tomas helped us immensely in preparing our forms, taking them to the police for criminal background checks, talking to a young woman at the Czech Consulate in Dresden. I am sure he completed other tasks that I am not aware of and we appreciate his help. Without it we would probably have never gotten everything done correctly or in a timely manner.

By train Dresden is only two and a half hours away. We went on Thursday, as in order to find the consulate and be sure we were in Dresden before nine in the morning. We found a hotel fairly quickly, but decided to see what else was available in that part of Dresden. Two hours later we decided there was nothing else available and we checked into the Hotel Martha Hospiz. After checking in we discovered that this hotel is part of group of hotels that go under the collective name of “Verband Christstlicher Hotels.” It is a group of hotels managed by a Christian organization. The hotel was very nice and comfortable with a very nice breakfast served in the morning. We also found that hotel rates in Germany approach or equal rates in London. Bad news!

We walked to the Elbe River and toured the wonderful art museum Thursday evening. Paintings by very famous painters are on display with the most famous painting being the Sistine Madonna by Raphael. You have seen the top of this painting on many Christmas cards in years past and recently you have seen the bottom of the painting which depicts the, now kitsch, two fat little cherubs with their chins on their hands which rest on the edge of the picture frame. These two little cherubs seem to have popped up on mugs and bookmarks all over the world! The painting itself is magnificent. The first time we visited Dresden it was the surprise of a lifetime to see it before me when I had no idea I would ever see it or that it was located in that museum. They also have many other painting “Greats” on display of course. We saw Rembrandt’s, Reubens, Titian, Canaletto, Van Dyke’s, Vermeer’s, Bellotto’s, Durer’s, Cichorius and who knows how many others whose names escape me right now. Needless to say it is a fabulous art museum. We enjoyed seeing a good display of the conservation work they do there. We will quote from their brochure so you will know why the conservation was needed.

“Five years ago the Elbe River overflowed its banks and flooded the storerooms of the Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister. Thanks to a dramatic salvage effort, around 99% of the paintings stored there could be rescued undamaged. However, six exceptionally large paintings and 17 pictures rolled on wooden drums could not be brought out. In a makeshift attempt to protect them, they were hung up beneath the ceiling of the storerooms, but they were nevertheless exposed to extremely high humidity and some even had direct contact with the water. More than 300 picture frames were submerged for several days.”

The conserved paintings were right there beside the explanations so that made it quite interesting. We were so glad the museum stayed open until 6 in the evening since it gave us plenty of time to enjoy things without rushing.

On the way back to the hotel we had a good meal at a fish restaurant. It was called the North Sea. The fish soup was really good (Nancy) with prawns as well as some delicious white fish and a great roll to go with it. Bill had a nicely baked piece of fish with a delicious yogurt and dill sauce.

We enjoyed the lights in some of the old buildings as we walked back to the hotel along the Elbe River and
Bridge across the Elbe in DresdenBridge across the Elbe in DresdenBridge across the Elbe in Dresden

Our hotel was on the far side of the bridge.
then across the bridge. It was quite picturesque and the mild winter night made it possible for us to stroll along enjoying the sights without shivering or being cold.

When we got back to the room, we two had no books to read, the TV was all in German (we suspected but didn’t even bother to check) and we brushed our teeth and went to bed. I noticed the clock as I turned of the lights and it was 5 minutes till eight at night or 19:55 in European style. We figured with about 10 hours to sleep we would finally and at last put jet lag and exhaustion to rest. With an enormous down pillow, a tiny firmer pillow and a feather tick which felt like a tiny sheet (but was almost too warm for comfort) we dozed off and had a grand rest. I woke in the night and found it was raining and thought the next day might not be very good for sightseeing. So, I breathed a little pray sort of like “Let it rain all night so the people get the water they need, but please let us have sunshine tomorrow.” The next blog entry will let you know if I was heard and answered affirmatively or negatively. njpl & wol


Advertisement



Tot: 0.552s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 165; dbt: 0.2453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb