ON THE ROAD in the Middle Rhine Valley, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate
September 8th 2017
Published: September 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Rhine in FlamesRhine in FlamesRhine in Flames

Photo by mLu.fhotos https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
The Rhine in Flamesis the collective name given to a series of five absolutely stunning pyrotechnical displays in the Rhine valley each summer. Nighttime fireworks over the Rhine River between Bonn and Rudesheim are the highlight of this festival that illuminates medieval castles, hills and boats, and creates magical reflections on the water. It is accompanied by wine and folk festivals on the shore, Upcoming dates left for 2017 are September 9 and 16.

The tradition dates back to the 1930s, when Kunibert Oches, director of the Landesverkehrsverbandes Nordrhein, lit the 16 mile stretch of water between Linz and Bad Godesberg with Bengal Fire. When World War II began in 1939, the festival was suspended. It was restarted in 1948 when residents along the river decided to organize and pay for the event themselves. It was held irregularly until 1965 when Queen Elizabeth II of England herself was in attendance. It was not held again until 1986 when it was reinstated by owners of passenger ships on the river. Today it is considered a romantic and unforgettable experience that draws upwards of 300,000 visitors.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb