Rhine Gorge: Rudesheim


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate
December 17th 2016
Published: December 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A slow start to the day as we cruise from Cologne overnight into the Rhine Gorge. With numerous castles along the banks, our tour director has likened the Rhine Gorge to a Grand Slam Tennis Match (looking from side to side at all the sights). Very cold outside so everyone positions themselves in the lounges next to the windows. Not me and Bruce, we have braved the cold and gone up to the sundeck - will probably never thaw out but definitely worth it.

After lunch we visited the small township of Rudesheim. Christmas Market # 2 which was absolutely magical. Christmas here so vastly different from home - rugged up in jackets, scarves, beanies drinking mulled wine in the cafes. Just love it. The markets have all sorts of beautiful Christmas ornaments and also heaps of food that smells amazing.

ABOUT SCENIC AMBER: Commissioned in 2016 the Scenic Amber is the newest in the Scenic fleet - a beautiful ship that oozes luxury. She is 135 m long x 11.4 m wide. Carries 169 guests, 43 hotel crew and 8 nautical crew. There are 72 suites (19 - 22 sqm), 13 cabins 29 crew cabins.

The Amber Lounge has a relaxed atmosphere where passengers can sit and take in the views from comfortable lounges, dine at the casual River Cafe and make use of the tea / coffee making facilities any time of the day or night.

For those interested in maintaining their fitness regime while on holiday (haha no not me!!!), there is a gym on board equipped with treadmill, rowing machine and exercise bikes. As well there is a heated pool on the sundeck (haven't seen anyone brave enough to get in that) and also and a running / walking track.

We have a balcony suite which is compact (about the size of an average master bedroom) which is fine as most of the time you are out and about exploring. Fitted with king size bed, TV, ensuite and small balcony seating area to take in the views. I mentioned in an earlier blog that we had glass partitions out on to the balcony that I was concerned about walking in to - well Bruce worked out how it all folds back against the wall which opens the room up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb