Freudenberg: December Oktoberfest


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
December 18th 2016
Published: December 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

After departing Cologne we went through a number of locks overnight. The process caused me to wake each time, not because it noisy, rather it was so quiet. The ship would drop speed and glide into the locks and the motor didn't seem to start up again until the lock had filled and we were going out the other side. Saw this morning just how they work and it seems to me that it is just like filling a really big bathtub: the ship rises with the level of the water, once at the right level, gates are opened and off we go. We will be going through about 50 locks over the next couple of day, the 3 deepest from 19 - 25 metres.

For lunch today we were met by guides dressed in traditional Bavarian dress and they took us off to a December Oktoberfest. Was a fantastic afternoon. Thank you Sarah for getting me in training with "Beer O'clock" every Tuesday afternoon. Today I managed to consume 2 x 500ml tankards of German beer with a traditional German lunch followed by Apple Strudel and Apricot Schnapps (Bruce had to finish the Schnapps for me!). We were entertained by a local 3 piece group who performed some traditional folk music and then their interpretation of more modern song. Our hostesses explained how Oktoberfest came about followed by some good old German drinking games. An excellent afternoon.

Following the afternoon's entertainment we headed off to Christmas Market # 3 in Wertheim. This was a Medieval Market on the outside but a more traditional Market inside the Market Square. Very busy as it was the last Market in Wertheim for this year.

Returned to the ship at 6.00pm and set sail straight away. How the guides managed to keep us all together and return us to the ship is beyond me!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.6mb