The Quaint and Charming Stops Along Ama's Rhine Cruise


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate
April 12th 2015
Published: April 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Amsterdam to Basel


In other blog entries I’ve talked about embarking or disembarking for Ama’s Enchanting Rhine cruise in Amsterdam or Basel. Both of those cities could not be more opposite from each other, but somehow wonderfully fitting complements to this romantic journey through Switzerland, France, Germany and the Netherlands. Someone once asked me if I had a preference of which direction to sail on the Rhine, and while the tone of the cruise definitely takes on a different aura depending on where you begin, I must admit that I don’t see an obvious advantage to one over the other and like each equally. I did have the feeling that we got to sleep in a bit more when sailing upstream, but the scenery is so breathtaking, who wants to spend their morning in bed?



For the purpose of this blog entry, I'm going to start in Amsterdam and talk about sailing to Basel. It's true, the embarkation city does give each cruise a flavour, and cruising from Amsterdam to Basel feels like going from bustle to serene and I love observing the incredible differences in landscape, culture and attitude that you experience as you sail along this 2000+ year old waterway of commerce and history.





The typical Ama itinerary down the river allows for an overnight onboard in Amsterdam. This gives those who have not arrived early the chance to experience Amsterdam by night when the streets come alive with boisterous bachelor parties, curious tourists, laid back tokers, and locals alike. You have nothing to fear in Amsterdam outside of pickpockets, but if you have read any of my other posts about safety in Europe, you should be well prepared. I personally have never ever had a problem in Amsterdam regardless of what time of night I’ve stumbled home. See my Amsterdam blogs for more info on this city.





Once we set sail for the city of Cologne the ship will cruise through the low lying lands of the Netherlands and emerge into the Rhine River bound for the “World Famous Cologne Cathedral” It’s in quotes because of a very funny story which I tell during my Friends of Dave Tours adventure in Warnemünde. If you’ve not been privy to it by the time we sail together, I’ll relate it on board. Cologne was mostly destroyed during World War 2, but the river cruise ships dock directly in the old town and you will walk from the ship into town with your Ama guide. At the end of the tour you can stay in town a bit longer to enjoy examples of the city’s famous motto, “Live and Let Live!" During your Ama tour, you will visit inside the Cologne Cathedral where the relics of the 3 Wise Men are enshrined and learn how they came to be there, you'll walk the old town and finish your tour near the historic city hall where you can observe the current excavations of the medieval Jewish quarter - where researchers have discovered a wealth of artefacts.





One option you may wish to do during your free time is to visit the fantastic Museum of German/Roman History. It is one of the best in Germany and houses fantastic mosaics, old facades, busts and statues and a variety of art. It’s quite stunning to see a collection of this quality North of the Alps and for all the destruction during WW2, Cologne still boasts 12 Romanesque churches in varying degrees of repair (or despair) depending on where it is in the city and whether renovation have touched them yet. One that might catch your imagination is the Basilica of St. Ursula’s, a short walk from the main Cathedral, but a giant leap into the past. This beautiful church houses one of the more unique displays I have ever seen and it is a core piece of history to understanding the history of the founding of the city, it’s coat of arms and proud culture, as well as the Catholic Church itself. The Reliquary in the Golden Chamber is full of bones from the cemetery, but is often related as being from the massacre of St Ursula and her 11 (or 11,000) virgins by the Huns. This is a fascinating look into medieval burial rights, as well as a chance to learn about one of the unique stories of religious history in Catholic Cologne.





Cologne is also known for its famous Kolsch (beer) and the city has many breweries, pubs and outdoor vendors where you can taste this deliciously light beer served in unique thin glasses. For a real Köln experience, go into Sion, Früh or Malzmühle brewery/restaurants and enjoy a great meal with delicious Kölsch. Just don’t call it beer, even more important, don’t mention Dusseldorf or Alt Bier. Live like a Kölner!





From Cologne we sail through the Rhine Gorge and stop in Rüdesheim, a charming wine village that will delight you with its charm, even as its residents overwhelm you with kitschy shops and a permanent Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas store. Rüdesheim has a multitude of little wine gardens and beer gardens to sit in and is surrounded by nature. During Ama’s stop here you will have a chance to enjoy wine tasting or tour the city during the day: if the weather is nice be sure to take a ride up the gondola to the top of the mountain and over the vineyards. There is a glorious view over the valley and the Germania Statue. Later you’ll have the chance to choose from two nightly activities: Sigfrid’s Mechanical Music Cabinet or go for a Rüdesheimer Coffee made with the town’s famous Asbach Uralt liquor, the older German wine brand.





Our next stop is the beautiful town of Speyer, once an important city of the Holy Roman Empire and the home of the largest Romanesque Church in the world, as well as one of the most intact Jewish baths (Mikveh) anywhere in Europe. You have the choice at this stop to visit Heidelberg or Speyer, but I personally always stay in Speyer, instead of the more commercial Heidelberg. Most North Americans have heard of Heidelberg before due to its university, castle and the large US Army presence there. The trip takes about an hour and you will have a guided tour of the city, visit the ruins of the castle, and have some free time. For those that stay in Speyer you will walk from the ship into town and learn about the city’s noble history during the time of emperors, knights and feudalism. The great cathedral is extremely interesting as is the Jewish history of the city, one of the first that confirmed privileges on its Jewish residents inside the Empire. At the end of the tour, there is plenty of time to explore, shop and enjoy this very pretty town.





The next highlight stop is the magnificent French city of Strasbourg (although you will dock in Kehl), the beating heart of Alsace. Strasbourg is the seat of several European Union institutions like the Parliament and the Court of Human Rights. It’s cathedral is breathtaking and the wood timbered city center is not only charming, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Your Ama tour will give you a fantastic overview of the city and allow you time for self exploration. As the ship will be docked a good bit away from the city center, Ama runs a shuttle from the ship and it is very, very easy to take the train from Strasbourg main station back to Kehl. The ship is just 5 minutes away from the Kehl station. Strasbourg is known for delicious food and wine. You might want to stay in town and have lunch in one of the several fabulous restaurants. If so, use TripAdvisor to find one that suits your tastes and budgets. There is something for everyone! The last stop before arriving in Basel is the town of Breisach. There’s not much to see here, but the ship stops to give you the chance to visit either the German side with the Black Forest and Freiburg OR the French side with the charming towns of Colmar and Riquewihr.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb