Day Trip to Trier


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
October 5th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The GardensThe GardensThe Gardens

Matt hanging out in the gardens in Trier
We had a four day weekend this weekend but Matt ended up having to work Saturday and Sunday, right in the middle of it, so it kind of ruined our chances of going anyplace outside of Germany. So, we decided to take advantage of the day off and go on a day trip. Trier is near the French border and has changed hands between Germany and France many times throughout history. It also has, I believe, the most Roman ruins of any town in Germany. Trier is a small town but makes a great day trip and is fun to walk around. Porta Nigra (Latin for 'Black Gate') gets its name because of the pollution that has turned the stones black over time. It's a 2nd century Roman gate and the stones are only held together with iron rods, not mortar. We also visited the Kaisertherman, an old Roman bath house created by Constantine and the amphitheatre, which once held 20,000 people. Combined with lunch we had a great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

My little photographerMy little photographer
My little photographer

It's a good thing I carry my little camera or Matt would never be in any of our vacation pictures!


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb